Monday 6 April 2020

Monday Moods: A Little eBook Haul to beat the Monday Blues. (April 2020 Book Haul.)

Hello! 

This Monday, I've decided to turn my frown upside down. 
After waking up early-ish to a hot April morning, I breezed through my chores. 
Dishes Done. 
Clothes Washed. 
Birds Fed. ( I feed the sparrows and pigeons and parrots from my window, this morning they feasted on some peanuts.) 
Breakfast and Coffee had. 

I was feeling happy and fresh and positive. 
And then I decided to treat myself to some new books...ebooks obviously. 
I saw that Harper Collins had a bunch of ebooks for over 50% off on Amazon and I hopped over and added some books to my cart and some others to my wish-list. 
I got 10 books in total. 
9 from Harper Collins. 
1 from Rupa. 
I got most of them on 60% off and I am pleased as can be. 

I don't intend to buy a ton of books, both during this mess and even after. 
In fact, I don't see myself buying much of anything till Pujo...or maybe not even then. Because, honestly we don't yet know what this pandemic will do our economy and our income. 
I don't want to be careless and splurge. 
But..this, today's haul I am allowing myself as a treat following nearly a week of being tired, anxious and working hard every single day. 
Plus..deals! 

OK, on to the books now. 


BOOKS BOUGHT/// 

1. This is How it Took Place by Rudrakshi Bhattacharjee: A collection of short stories, which I am always up to read and sample a new writer at that, plus goes well with my reading theme this month..aka All Bengali Books in April! Win win win! 

2. Thirteen Kinds of Love by Soumya Bhattacharya: 13 stories set in one apartment complex, I've had my eye on this one for ages and once again, like the book above it meets all kinds of reading criteria. I think I will read it this month itself! 

3. The Monsters Still Lurk by Aruna Nambiar: I read Mango Cheeks and Metal Teeth by the same author a couple of years ago and simply adored it. This one set in Bombay in the post-liberalisation era seems like something right up my alley. My city and a time period that I hold dear. I cannot wait to get to this book. 

4. Sacked Folktales You can carry around by Deepa Agarwal: I am always, always happy to read some folktales and this was super cheap and I hope something I can enjoy. 

5. Typically Tanya by Taha Kehar: Sounds like a fun read, a 20 something woman in Pakistan doing her best to avoid arranged marriage and rishtas and trying to fix some messes she's created in her life. Should be a good time. Another book I had my eye on for a while. 

6. Half Gods by Akhil Kumarasamy: A mix of mythology and modern times, this was very critically acclaimed and I meant to read it last year but never got around to it. These are interconnected short stories...or is it a novel told through interconnected characters?! Not sure, but I am sure that this will be one that I will enjoy. 


7. Written in Tears by Aruna Patangia and Ranjit Biswas: Short stories once again, this time set in Assam. I am having a little bit of an Assam moment. I've read 2 books set in Assam this year and I want to read more from here and this translated stories seems perfect. 

8. A Flutter in the Colony by Sandip Ray: I read Don't Let Him Know by this author when it came out and I LOVED it. It was sublime. This one had been on my radar since it came out but I was waiting to get it, good thing I waited and managed to get it on a good deal. This is about a middle class Bengali family that moves to Malaya to start a new life and it's about them setting up home in a new place among other things. I know I will enjoy the writing and reading about Bengali families is one of my allll time favourite things to read. 

9. The One Who Swam with the Fishes by Meenakshi Reddy Madhavan: Satyavati's story fleshed out and told in this instalment of stories about the Girls in Mahabharata. The Mahabharat is my favourite epic and actually story of all time. there is so much to unearth and learn and mull over. Still so relevant and honestly, I've never really paused to think about Satyavati- the wife of Bharat and stepmother of Bhishma. I am always up to read more about this epic and do a deeper dive into the characters I know so well. 


10. The Parcel by Anosh Irani: Set in Mumbai's red light area, this is about a transgender sex worker tasked with an impossible job. Set among brothels, sex trade, trafficking and the hijra community, this book promises to be hard hitting and a glimpse into a world that is close enough but seems like a million miles away. 

So those were all the books I added to my e-Shelf today. 
My slice of joy. 

Go check out the ebooks on Amazon, there are some amazing deals going on and see if you want to get a book or two. 

Happy Reading Folks! 

:) 

No comments: