Saturday 4 April 2020

Weekend Reads: Agatha Christie & Sunil Gangopadhyay. (What My Sister and I are Reading this Weekend.)

Hello! 

How is your weekend going? 
I'll be honest, I am wiped. 
I think all this extra work (home chores) is kinda getting to me now. 
But it's OK..I am home, I am safe and I am doing my best. 
I have been reading as and when I find time and it's been helping, like it always does. 


My sister is slowly reading, rather re-reading The Murder of Roger Ackroyd by Agatha Christie. This book is incredible. I re-read it last year and loved it.
It's a little slow. Told through a character's journal, this is a little different than your usual Poirot books. An interesting locked room mystery set in a little English village, where an in-retirement Poirot is called upon to solve the murder of the village's richest man- Roger Ackroyd. 
My sister is nearly done with this and will then start on her next read, The Woman in the Mirror by Rebecca James. 


I finished reading Wonder World and Other Stories by Sunil Gangopadhyay earlier this evening. A collection of 20 short stories, set in the 1970s largely, this collection has some very quintessential Ganguly elements, a lot of melancholy, poignant stories, social commentary and brilliant writing. There is such a nuance in Ganguly's writing, such an acute understanding of the human nature and a deep understanding of the time period and the socio-cultural and political pulse of the time. His stories take you to the places he writes about, whether it's the streets of Calcutta in the turbulent 70s or the dusty village road where a simple man is trying to make ends meet. 
I really enjoyed this book, it felt a little heavy and a little too sad, seriously stories will rip your heart out, but on the whole this was moving and affecting and thought provoking. 
4/5 

I am yet to pick my next read, but I have my TBR all sorted so I'll go pick something from there right away. 
I am either going to pick Friends from College by Devapriya Roy or A Life Long Ago by Sunanda Sikdar. 

Hope your weekend is going well too. 
:) 
Rest. 
Read. 
Relax. 

Have a good one guys. 

No comments: