Sunday 2 June 2013

Author Love: John Green+ Reviews: Papertowns and The Fault in our Stars.


 Book: Paper Town

Author: John Green

Pages: 305 pages

How Long it took me to Read: 1-2 days. 

Plot Summary: Quentin Jacobson has been in love with his next door nieghbour Margo Roth Spiegleman pretty much his own life. They have grown up next to each other and used to be close friends when they were kids, but an incident makes them drift apart. Now close to graduating high school the former friends live in different worlds. Quentin is set to attend college in a few months and Margo is the popular girl with a long time boyfriend. Things come to head when one night, dressed as a ninja Margo crawls in Quentin's bedroom and asks him to come along for a night of adventure and vengeance.

 After the night of getting even is over, Q thinks he is about to rekindle his friendship with Margo, only to find out that Margo has gone missing...she has run away from home and has left behind clues. Q is determined to find her and in the process finds out more about the girl he thinks he knows and is surprised to find how much he doesn't know.

Characters: There is of course Q- geeky and sweet and very regular. He is our main protagonist and he is a very likeable character.  Margo Roth Spiegleman is however the star of the book. The quest to find her is the main portion of the book and as the quest continues we keep discovering more and more about this enigmatic character. She is an excellent character to read about, she is truly her own person and an original through and through.

What I liked: This book is classified as a young adult book, though it's so well-written and has such a good story I think anyone teenager/adult/geriatric will enjoy this book. The teenagers are written sooooooo well and aren't mere stereotypes but actual people are so very real. I also liked reading about Margo and her 'issues'. I also love the ending and how realistic this book is.

What I didn't Like: As much as I enjoyed reading about Margo and her issues, I didn't reaaaalllly fully get them.

General Thoughts: This was the first John Green book I read and I really enjoyed it. It really isn't your typical Young Adult book- there is no insta-love, sparkly vampires or missing parents. It is real and very well-written.

Rating: 4/5.




Book: The Fault in our Stars (TFIOS)

Author: John Green

Pages: 313 pages

How Long it took me To Read: A day...it would have gone a whole lot sooner had I not been crying sobbing for most of the book! Tears  really do get in the way of reading!!!! 

Plot Summary: Hazel Grace is a 16 year old girl with terminal cancer but for now that is under control with a new medication, so is living for now. But she is in treatment and slightly depressed. Enter Augustus Waters, another kid with Cancer, they meet at a Cancer Support Group and a friendship blossoms and love blossoms too. It sounds simplistic but trust me this book is not it's plot- it's the characters, it's writing and it's emotions. This book isn't a Cancer book, sure both it's protagonists have the disease but it doesn't become the focal point of the narrative.

Characters: Hazel Grace- a strong, regular girl who happens to have terminal Cancer. She is wonderful, wonderful character and really delight to read and get to know. Then there is Augustus Waters....oh Augustus! He is simply marvelous!!!!!!!!!!!! And everyone else in the book fades in comparison. This boy..this boy is a such a joy to read about...even though he made me cry like a mad woman. Read this book for him alone. The secondary characters like the parents and friends of the lead character are also well etched out and add to the story.

What I Liked: Augustus Waters. Oh yeah!

What I Didn't: Nothing.

General Thoughts: I loved this book. However, do not read this book in public. Unless, public bawling is your thing- then go right ahead. Read this alone, preferably with a wad of tissues and a comforting beverage with you. I read this sobbing into my sheet (didn't have tissues handy) and taking little breaks to just cry and ponder about things in the book and cry. Also, this book is being made into a movie real soon. I cannot wait!

Will you like it? If you have a beating heart you will.

Rating: 500/5 (Yes, I loved it that much!)

I discovered John Green last year and have read two of his books so far, I have ordered Waiting for Alaska and will read that once it arrives. His books are amazing, real characters with flaws and all are a amazing to read. Teenagers are most often made into such cliches that it's great when someone writes them so wonderfully well. Also he has a Youtube channel and generally seems like an awesome person. I cannot wait to read more of his works.

No comments: