Thursday 13 June 2013

Review: Afterlife: Ghost Stories from Goa by Jessica Faleiro.


Book: Afterlife: Ghost stories from Goa

Author: Jessica Faleiro

Pages: 158

How long it took me to read: A couple of hours.

Plot Summary: As the title suggests this is a book of ghost stories. The Foncesca family- father Savio, mother Lillian and daughters Carol and Joanna have gathered in Goa to celebrate Savio's 75th birthday. The night before the big party, the family has a visit from Savio's cousin brother Eduardo and his wife Maria and kids Susheela and Jason come and as the rain pours outside and the power goes out the Foncescas start telling ghost stories- about things that they've experienced or the extended family members have experienced.

Characters: Apart from the people mentioned above, the ones telling the actual stories, the book is full of Foncescas of the past and deceased and present- all of whom sound super fun.

What I liked: I loved the basic premise, a family sitting in the dark with the rain lashing the house and ghost stories. I love ghost stories of every kind! Some of my favourite memories of my childhood are sitting with my extended family and hearing spooky stories. I liked the atmosphere and the stories themselves were great. They ranged from a hostel haunting to possession to protective ghosts to death omens. I liked the range and I loved the many stories packed into one slender little book. Also there is a pretty decent twist in the end.

What I didn't Like: The writing was very OK, but it didn't really matter in the end.

General Thoughts: I really enjoyed this book and it kept me hooked and I loved the characters and setting of the story. I love hearing, reading and watching ghost stories, so this book is right up my alley.

Will you like it? If you like ghost stories, extended family tales, twists in the tale and Goa this is the book for you. Also it's perfect for a rainy day. :)

Rating: 4/5 

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Totally sold, Pooja! I'm buying this. Thank you for the recommendation! :-)

Pooja T said...

Yay!! You will love it I am sure. My sister read it yesterday and loved it too!!!

SSam said...

Thank you for sharing. Here are some really great ghost stories from various parts of India:

http://www.amazon.com/INDIAN-GHOST-STORIES-Saptarshi-Bhattacharyya-ebook/dp/B00ON3L6JO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1414304387&sr=8-1&keywords=indian+ghost+stories

SSam said...

Here are some more scary Indian ghost stories that your readers may like:

http://www.amazon.in/INDIAN-GHOST-STORIES-VOL-2-ebook/dp/B018P44PJE/ref=pd_ecc_rvi_2