Saturday 1 June 2013

Get To Know the Bookworm.

Hello!

My name is Pooja and I am an avid reader. I am a 20-something Bombay girl, who has lived in Bombay, Bangalore, Calcutta and Lucknow. Books are my life! I read all the time and am seldom found without a book. I enjoy reading and read a vast array of books. I read fiction almost exclusively- non-fiction really doesn't do much for me and I DO NOT read self-help.

I read Contemporary literature, Young Adult, Thrillers, Horror, Romance, Classics, Indian writing and translated works from all over the world. I really read pretty much every kind of book. I read books that win prizes and those that don't. I love reading books from places I've never been, I basically think books are the cheapest and often the best way to travel. I love books written by Indian authors and some of my absolute favourite books are ones by Indians, that being said some of the recent spurt of Indian writers make me want tear my hair out in frustration- bad grammar, weird titles and bad writing are the chief reasons behind this bout of rage! (But if you like these books..that's totally OK....but I do urge to read some other, better books too!)


I read 102 books last year and have already read 72 books this year....and this blog is my way of documenting the books I read and how I feel about them. Also it would make me terribly happy if this blog makes even one person more excited about reading. I love reading..I love how the whole world disappears when I am reading. I love getting lost between pages and meeting characters I love and experiencing a new culture. I cannot imagine my life with books. And I'd wish everyone could experience the joys of a good book!

My favourite authors include...Jhumpa Lahiri, Jane Austen, Amitav Ghosh, Haruki Murakami, JK Rowling, Enid Blyton (who doesn't love her!?), Shashi Tharoor, Roald Dahl. Truman Capote, Alexander McCall Smith, John Steinbeck, Kazuo Ishiguro, Manto, Ismat Chungtai, Nick Hornby, Emily Bronte, Charlotte Bronte, Agatha Christie...and maybe a couple of others..these are my top of the mind favourites.

I am Bengali but can't sadly read or write the language and therefore read a ton of translated work by Bengali authors like Sarat Chandra Chattopadhyay, Rabindranath Tagore, Sunil Gangopadhyay, Sarabindu Banerjee and Satyajit Ray- I love the Feluda books and cannot recommend them enough.

Apart from reading I do have other interests, I love writing and do so for a living. I watch movies, I have seen some 52 odd movies this year. I watch a lot of TV shows and some of my current favourites are Sherlock, Criminal Minds, Bones, Law and Order: Special Victims Unit, Pretty Little Liars (guilty pleasure), Vampire Diaries, The Game of Thrones, How I Met Your Mother, 2 Broke Girls, American Horror Story...and a couple more but I am going to stop here. :D

I also love taking pictures and documenting my life...if you know me from Instagram you might know this about me. I also love shopping, I am very, very good at it. If shopping was a competitive sport I'd win all kinds of medals! I like pretty things and stationery and silver jewellery. I like ghost stories. Funny stories. And funny people. I enjoy cooking. I like sleeping. I like making lists. I like ticking things off my list. Expect to see a lot of lists on this blog. :)

So I guess that's enough of talking out of me for today.

Thank you for being here and I do hope you'll return! :)

6 comments:

Unknown said...

I think we share so many interests... um, books, shows and shopping! Haha! I do love Jhumpa Lahiri's works. Chitra Divakaruni Bannerjee and Amitav Ghosh, as well. J.K. Rowling, I don't think I'll ever tire of reading the Harry Potter series over and over, again. Enid Blyton too, I still have a few copies of her lovely stories at my Al-Khobar house(provided my mum hasn't discarded them yet!). About the advent of the Indian writers and them writing these really bad books (and getting published), I have to agree with you. Bad grammar anywhere really puts me off, and in books, it puts me off the author completed. The last one I read (three-fourth) was Someone Like You. I still haven't begun reading Oleander Girl. I guess I'm saving it for a rainy day! :-)

Unknown said...

I'm so excited for you and your BOOK blog! Books are the best companions, ever. :-D

Unknown said...

*house (provided...)

Pooja T said...

Thanks Roanna :)))) Oh I have just ordered Oleander Girl, thanks for telling me about it, I didn't know Chitra Divakaruni Bannerjee had a new book out, I love her work and I cannot believe I forgot to mention her in my favourite authors! Gah, the less I talk about these new 'authors' the better. The bad English and the sub-par writing is really annoying, I can't for the life of me know how these people get published!

This year I want to re-read all the Potter books, I've read all of them multiple times barring the last one- she killed so many people, I am just not ready to cry all over again. But those books are my favourite things in the world!

Anonymous said...

Hi, thank you for this awesome whimsical book blog! :) Really glad to have stumbled across your site! :) Keep it up!
I too, am a novelist, writer, freelancer, poetess and much more. I only am 17, but your neighbour! :D
;)
I also am an avid reader, too. :)

Pooja T said...

Hi Zainab!
So sorry for the delay in seeing and responding to your comment! :( This is an old post of mine, so your comment sort of got lost :(

I am so happy that you like my blog and even happier to note that you are our neighbour and a budding writer at that! :)

See you around here!