Friday 21 June 2013

Reading Resolutions 2013.

I am a resolution maker/taker. And once I put it down in writing I am pretty good at keeping said resolutions.  At least I try my level best to keep my resolutions. I also make weekend goals and week goals- about things I need to get done and things I want to try and do. Making a list keeps me on track. In the beginning of the year with the zeal of the new year and a chance of starting something new upon me, I wanted to make some reading related resolutions. With half the year nearly over (where does time fly?) I thought its a good time as any to revisit my Reading Resolutions and see how I am doing.

1. Read more classics. /// I pretty much have this on my list every single year. And I am really bad I keeping it. Reading classics is amazing. But it takes some time. And effort. Reading contemporary books makes switching to classics take some time. This year I am happy to report things are a little better. I've read 2 classics already. I also want to read different kinds of classics- including Modern Classics, American classics and Indian classics.

2. Read more Murakami. /// I read my first Murakami last year and fell in love. I read 3 Murakami books last year and this year I want to read as many as I can. I've bought 4 Murkami books and read one so far. So not bad at all!

3. Read more John Green. /// Similar to the point above, I wanted to read more from an author who I discovered last year and really loved. So far I have bought another Green book and will read it soon.

4. Read more Horror. /// I am a huge fan of horror and scary movies. Anything to do with spooks and scares and I am all over it. Weirdly enough that love and interest has never translated into horror books. I read a huge amount of murder mysteries and thrillers and serial killer type books and I LOVE those. But I haven't read a pure horror book. So this year I want to read seriously spooky books. So far I've read some and realllllly enjoyed it.

5. Don't finish books you don't like. /// This one is hard for me. If I start a book and even if I don't like it I push myself to finish it. No more! Life is too short to read bad books. So even if I feel bad about leaving a book half read, I am going to push it aside. If I don't like it....it has got to go.

6. Re-read all the Harry Potter books. /// I used to re-read all the Potter books before the new one came out. Fun fact: I got glasses after I re-read more of book 4 and 5 in bad lighting before book 6 came out! But I haven't read any of the books since the last one came out. To be fair, the last book pretty much left me shell-shocked for a week and crying like a mad person thinking about all the people that died in it. But it's time to re-visit the world of magic and wizards.

7. Read all the No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency Books. /// We've had these books for nearly a decade and a couple of years ago I read the first one and loved it. Then I realised we were missing the next two books in the series and had some of the other books, a broken collection. But we mended that last year and bought all 12 books. This year my sister read them all, she was up to number 8 or something. We also got the 13th one. So we now have the complete set and I really should start reading it. My sister loves these books and did a post on them HERE.

8. Re-read books. /// I really need to do this. The whole point of buying and owning books is to re-visit them.

9. Start a book blog. /// Done! :D

10. Read more translated works. /// This is to ensure I read more world literature and to make sure I read some Bengali books, I can't read Bengali, so translation will do just fine.

11. Read the older books sitting on the bookshelf. /// I have books that we've had for over 10 years and I still haven't read them. While I am really good at reading new books, I forget to read older ones. No more! I've been routinely reading older books and feeling better.

12. Read big-fat-huge books. /// While reading books can be a pain...literally to my wrist and hand and not to mention to carry around, it doesn't mean they should be ignored. Plus there is something entirely too satisfying about finishing a huge book. Last year, I read Vikram Seth's A Suitable Boy, which is a mammoth book of 1488 pages. I loved that book and hadn't read it all time because it was so huge. But last year I bought it and read and was so glad at the end of it.

So these are my Reading Resolutions. Do you have any???

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Well, of the book-reading variety, I'd have to say for me, it's to complete reading The Casual Vacancy. I bought it last year on an impulse, I've only read two chapters and stopped reading thereafter. :-(