Friday 28 June 2013

Review: Embroideries by Marjane Satrapi


Book: Embroideries

Author: Marjane Satrapi

Pages: 145

How long it took me to read: Under an hour. 

Plot Summary: There really isn't any, this is graphic novel about an afternoon session of tea and gossip amongst a group of women in Tehran, Iran. An afternoon of tea, laughter, gossip and stories.

Characters: There is Marji herself, if you've read Persepolis you know her and her family pretty well already. There is also Marji's grandmother (whom I love!) and her mother and a host of other women who have very funny stories to share.

What I liked: Everything!!!! The stories. The art. The camaraderie. The laughter and the very spirit of gossip. It made me crave both tea and the company of these women.

What I didn't: 145 pages?!! That's it? I needed more!

General Thoughts: I wanted this book the minute I read Persepolis. In another slightly creepy note, I had seen this book in a movie and didn't know what this book was for a long, long time. The movie was Dev D, an Indian movie (in Hindi), it's a modern day re-telling of Devdas- an Indian classic. If you haven't seen the movie, I highly recommend it. In the movie, Kalki's character is reading this book and I don't know about you but in any movie or TV show if anyone is reading a book, I must know what book that is. This book had me stumped. I remember coming back from the theatre and Googling the name of the book but didn't come up with anything. Then Voila, a few months ago, while ordering Persepolis from an online bookstore, this one popped up as well!!! Yay! I got Persepolis first and this month I got my hands on this.

This book is lovely, simple and sweet and funny. REALLY FUNNY! I burst out laughing quite a few time during this book. I really recommend it. You'll love it! It made me miss the women in my extended family quite a bit. I missed our sessions full of gossip and tea and samosas. Ah!

Will you love it? Hell yes!

Rating: 5/5.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh yes! I remember asking your opinion on whether I should buy this book or not but I don't think you saw the comment. It sounds like an interesting read, I'll borrow it from a shop, if I can. Nice review!

Pooja T said...

Oh...the book is really sweet though. I think you'll like it. It was so familiar reading about gossiping women, reminded me of many pleasant evenings I've spent with the women of my family. Also..shops let you borrow books?!!! :O

Unknown said...

Hehe, as in, there is a book shop slash library here around Borivali, so I pay a little something for reading it. :-)

P.S. Where do you live, if you don't mind my asking?