Monday 10 February 2014

Review: The Distance Between Us by Kasie West.


Book: The Distance Between Us

Author: Kasie West

Pages: 224

How Long it Took Me To Read: 2 hours.

Plot Summary: Seventeen-year-old Caymen Meyers studies the rich like her own personal science experiment, and after years of observation she’s pretty sure they’re only good for one thing—spending money on useless stuff, like the porcelain dolls in her mother’s shop.

So when Xander Spence walks into the store to pick up a doll for his grandmother, it only takes one glance for Caymen to figure out he’s oozing rich. Despite his charming ways and that he’s one of the first people who actually gets her, she’s smart enough to know his interest won’t last. Because if there’s one thing she’s learned from her mother’s warnings, it’s that the rich have a short attention span. But Xander keeps coming around, despite her best efforts to scare him off. And much to her dismay, she's beginning to enjoy his company.

She knows her mom can’t find out—she wouldn’t approve. She’d much rather Caymen hang out with the local rocker who hasn’t been raised by money. But just when Xander’s attention and loyalty are about to convince Caymen that being rich isn’t a character flaw, she finds out that money is a much bigger part of their relationship than she’d ever realized. And that Xander’s not the only one she should’ve been worried about.

General Thoughts and Review: I  don't read a lot of romances. It's not even a conscious choice, I just find myself reading other genres and staying away from romances. But once in a while, a sweet little romance is just what the heart needs. Happy, light and fluffy is just what I was in the mood for when I picked this book up. 

A classic rich boy-poor girl story but with a lot of heart and a whole lot of awwwww moments. I enjoyed this book immensely. I liked our two lead characters, I especially liked Xander. Caymen was sweet and I liked her even though at times she was a little too whiny and suspicious of Xander's motives. I also liked her friends and their equation. Her mother was a bit batty and I wish she wouldn't pass on her paranoia and prejudices to her daughter. 

This was a sweet, fast paced read and kept me smiling. There is also a little bit of a twist in the end which was nice too. And I really like the dates Caymen and Xander went on, really sweet stuff! 

I recommend this book if you are in the mood for a light and happy read. Perfect for Valentine's Day if you ask me! 

Rating: 4/5 

No comments: