Thursday 5 February 2015

Review: Bone Cold by Erica Spindler


Book: Bone Cold

Author: Erica Spindler

Pages: 502

I read it on: My Kindle

I read it in: 8 hours- across a couple of days

Plot Summary: It's been 23 years since Anna North survived an attack by a madman who cut off her pinkie, then vanished. Now, she writes thrillers under a pen name and finally feels safe. But when letters arrive from a disturbed fan, and a close friend disappears, she realizes her past is linked to the murders of three women in New Orleans.

What I Liked: Quick list:

  • Serial killer. Need I say more?! There was a serial killer suffocating and raping redheads in this book and that was one of the two key mysteries that the book was focused on. 
  • Bone Cold is a psychological thriller in many ways- not only do we have a serial killer, who seems fixated on red heads, we also have 'childhood trauma and its impact on future actions' as a theme and then, there is also something else, which I can't say because it is a massive spoiler. 
  • I enjoyed the setting of the book- New Orleans. I am endlessly fascinated by that city and I enjoy reading books that are set there. 
  • The characters are likable and are sufficiently well developed. Anna, Malone and Ben are well crafted. We also get to see a lot of Jaye- Anna's friend and "little sister" (from the Big Sister, Little Sister program) who goes missing- who is another interesting and spunky character. 
  • I liked that the book had a couple of not-that-obvious red herrings. I hate it when crime/thriller books have these obvious characters who are made to look like the killer but are not! So, in this book, the red herrings were also well done and you do think for a bit if he/she could really be the killer because they had means, motive and opportunity for the murders.
What I Didn't Like: Another quick list:

  • The big twist and the third element in the psychological thriller aspect (mentioned above) was a bit obvious and easy to guess. The author left way too many clues and breadcrumbs on the way, which dampened the big reveal a bit! 
  • Also, there were a few loose ends that were not explained or tied up in the end. Again, can't talk about these in greater detail because they will spoil the book for those interested. 

Rating: 3.5/5 
I would recommend Bone Cold as a good psychological thriller for someone who is not an avid crime genre reader. The book is not gory or too graphic and is nicely and intelligently written. 

No comments: