Wednesday 2 April 2014

April 2014 To-Be-Read List!

April is here. Strange isn't it? Three months of the new year have whizzed by. In my reading life, it has meant I've read 50 books so far, that is half of my Reading Challenge on GoodReads! I am very chuffed indeed. I read 177 new books last year and I hope I reach somewhere close to that number this year too, but I still set a modest goal of 100 books. If I beat it great...if I manage to read an even 100 that's not bad either.

Last month was a bit of a muddle when it came to reading. I wasn't' enjoying what I was reading and was restless and uneasy with my reading in particular and life in general.

So to combat that sense of unease, I thought I'd make April my month of "Summer Reads", meaning I'll read typical summer books. Romance, beach reads, contemporary fiction, women's literature and good old chick-lit and some thriller/mystery type books. Basically all good things. Some perusal of the bookshelves later, this is the list I've come up with. Now not all of these meet the strict criteria of a summer read but broadly these are what I think of as light, happy and enjoyable reads. Now since I do want to read a classic this month and every other month of the year, I had to look hard at my Classics shelf and pick an appropriate book.

So here is my April TBR:

1. The Little Coffee Shop of Kabul by Deborah Rodriguez
2. The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman
3. The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
4. Just Listen by Sarah Dessen
5. The Dumb Witness by Agatha Christie
6. Dubliners by James Joyce
7. When The Time is Right by Buddhadeva Bose (I will read this around Bengali New Year, April 15th.)
8. Safe Haven by Nicholas Sparks (If this ain't a summer read, what is?)
9. Elsewhere by Gabrielle Zevin
10. Half Bad by Sally Green
11. Burial Rites by Hannah Kent
12. Breakfast at Tiffany's by Truman Capote (RR)

RR stands for Re-Read.

Have an awesome April!

Hope you have a wonderful reading month! 

No comments: