Tuesday 29 April 2014

Review: Rebel Belle by Rachel Hawkins.


Book: Rebel Belle

Author: Rachel Hawkins

Pages: 352

How Long it Took Me To Read: 2 days

Read On: My Kindle

Plot Summary: Harper Price, peerless Southern belle, was born ready for a Homecoming tiara. But after a strange run-in at the dance imbues her with incredible abilities, Harper's destiny takes a turn for the seriously weird. She becomes a Paladin, one of an ancient line of guardians with agility, super strength and lethal fighting instincts.

Just when life can't get any more disastrously crazy, Harper finds out who she's charged to protect: David Stark, school reporter, subject of a mysterious prophecy and possibly Harper's least favorite person. But things get complicated when Harper starts falling for him--and discovers that David's own fate could very well be to destroy Earth.

With snappy banter, cotillion dresses, non-stop action and a touch of magic, this new young adult series from bestseller Rachel Hawkins is going to make y'all beg for more.

General Thoughts and Review: I knew this book had some supernatural elements in it and that made me a little weary about reading it. I didn't need to read one more book about mythical creatures and such like. Thankfully, something in my mind asked me overlook my reservations and give this book a go. I have heard great things about The Hex Hall series written by the same author and wanted to read this before I embark on a series. 

I am so glad I picked this book up! 

I loved it. 

It was funny, action-packed, fun and a perfect little light summer read. 

The main character Harper, is super likable and funny and her reactions when endowed with super-powers (of sorts) were very real and normal. We see this entire world through Harper's eyes and it was a fun perspective. Her world, her people, her family and her life were all interesting to read about. Her friend, especially her best-friend Bee was a delightful character. 

David- our love-interest/parallel lead was also nice. He was a journalist in the school magazine and a bit of a hipster. His bantering with Harper was also fun and the building romance felt natural and their history added up to the being drawn to each other. Even, Kevin, Harper's perfect boyfriend was a nice enough character. 

The only thing I remotely didn't like was this is going to be a series and not a stand alone like I had thought it was going to be. Gah. I am just a little bit...a lot done with series. But I did enjoy this book a whole lot and will read the rest of the books. 

Another thing I didn't like was some of the ending bits. Not all of the ending, just some of it that leads to some complicated love triangle-type situation. 

But, overall this was a fun read and I recommend it, if you are looking for a fun book. 

Rating: 4/5 

No comments: