Friday 18 April 2014

Review: Boys Don't Knit (In Public) by T.S. Easton.


Book: Boys Don't Knit (In Public)

Author: T.S. Easton

Pages: 277

How Long It Took Me To Read: One day.

Plot Summary: Ben Fletcher must get to grips with his more 'feminine' side following an unfortunate incident with a lollipop lady and a stolen bottle of Martini Rosso from Waitrose. All a big misunderstanding of course. To avoid the Young Offenders unit, Ben is ordered to give something back to the community and develop his sense of social alignment. Take up a hobby and keep on the straight and narrow. The hot teacher he likes runs a knitting group so Ben, reluctantly at first, gets 'stuck in'. Not easy when your dad is a sports fan and thinks Jeremy Clarkson is God. 

To his surprise, Ben finds that he likes knitting and that he has a mean competitive streak. If he can just keep it all a secret from his mates...and notice that the girl of his dreams, girl-next-door Megan Hooper has a bit of a thing for him...Laugh-out-loud, often ridiculous, sometimes quite touching, and revelatory about the knitting world, Boys Don't Knit is a must for boys and girls.

General Thoughts: I randomly came across this book while browsing on Flipkart. I must admit I was, at first, pulled in by the gorgeous cover. The bright yellow and the brilliant typography grabbed my attention and then the little plot synopsis sounded really good and I went ahead and ordered it. And I am so glad I took a chance on a book I'd never heard of before. I simply loved this book. Really, really loved it! 

Review: I loved everything about this book- the writing, the style and of course Ben. Ben is adorable and easy to like. The book is told from his perspective, via his diary entries. His voice is honest and funny as hell. 

I loved Ben and his family and his slightly strange/ rowdy friends. His love life crisis and his inner workings, all make for an incredible read. 

The humour in this book is so on point. Typically British and seriously funny. I was laughing out loud at various points in the story. Really..one of the funniest books I've read in recent times. 

I cannot recommend this book enough. It's funny, sweet and full of heart. I am currently, pretty much forcing my sister to read this book. 

Rating: 5/5 

No comments: