Saturday 19 April 2014

Review: If I Stay by Gayle Forman.


Book: If I Stay

Author: Gayle Forman

Pages: 201

How Long it Took Me To Read: 2 hours or less.

Plot Summary: Just listen, Adam says with a voice that sounds like shrapnel.

I open my eyes wide now.
I sit up as much as I can.
And I listen.

Stay, he says.


Choices. Seventeen-year-old Mia is faced with some tough ones: Stay true to her first love—music—even if it means losing her boyfriend and leaving her family and friends behind?

Then one February morning Mia goes for a drive with her family, and in an instant, everything changes. Suddenly, all the choices are gone, except one. And it's the only one that matters.

If I Stay is a heart-achingly beautiful book about the power of love, the true meaning of family, and the choices we all make. 

General Thoughts: I read this wonderful book nearly 2 years ago, on my iPad in under 2 hours. I just couldn't put it down. I was gripped and hooked and couldn't wait to see what happened and what Mia would ultimately choose to do. It was a sad, poignant and gut-wrenching read. Yet, it was wonderful. Lovely. Moving. I loved this book. And even 2 years later the story, it's people and it's voice stayed with me. 

I haven't yet read the sequel to this book, but I intend to do that very soon...I might even re-read this one..if my heart can handle the feels! :) And I am most certainly going to watch the movie. Yes, this is being made into a movie. The Trailer is out already. 

Review: Like I said, I loved this book. Everything from the writing, to the wonderfully written characters and the main conflict- whether to live or die. 

I really appreciated that family and familial ties were given such importance in this book. Because in most YA books, families just take a massive back seat. We only see parents vaguely mentioned and often ignored. But in this book, Mia's family, her parents, her little brother and even her grand-parents are all front and center. I loved that. Even though friends and love often become the focal point of our teenage years, our families are no less important. 

The love story is this book was also real and poignant. I can't wait to read more about Mia and Adam in the sequel. 

I also loved that even though this was a fairly short book, it was just right- meaning, all this heavy, emotional and heavy decision making was perfect in a short book. It was the perfect length! 

Rating: 5/5 

Really, I can't recommend this book enough! 

No comments: