Friday 28 November 2014

Review: The Book of Fate by Parinoush Saniee.


Book: The Book of Fate

Author: Parinoush Saniee

Translated By: Sara Khalili

Pages: 447

How Long It Took Me To Read: 3 days

Read On: Paperback

Plot SummaryA bestselling novel in Iran, despite being banned twice by the government, The Book of Fate follows a teenage girl in pre-revolutionary Iran through five turbulent decades, from before the 1979 revolution, through the Islamic Republic, and up to the present in this powerful story of friendship, passion, and hope. 

A teenager in pre-revolutionary Tehran, Massoumeh is an average girl, passionate about learning. On her way to school she meets a local man and falls in love, but when her family discover his letters they accuse her of bringing them dishonour. She is badly beaten by her brother, and her parents hastily arrange for her to marry to a man she's never met. Facing a life without love, and the prospect of no education, Massoumeh is distraught, but a female neighbour urges her to comply: "We each have a destiny, and you can't fight yours." 

The years that follow Massoumeh's wedding prove transformative for Iran. Hamid, Massoumeh's husband, is a political dissident and a threat to the Shah's oppressive regime. When the secret service arrive to arrest him, it is the start of a terrifying period for Massoumeh. Her fate, so long dictated by family loyalty and tradition, is now tied to the changing fortunes of her country. Spanning five turbulent decades of Iranian history, from before the 1979 revolution, through the Islamic Republic, and up to the present, The Book of Fate is a truly remarkable story and a rare insider's view of Iranian society.

General Thoughts: Another book I randomly picked up at the bookstore. I loved reading about other cultures and am always curious about other people live. I read Persepolis two years ago and loved it. I wanted to read another book about Iran and I am glad I read this book. 

Things I Loved: 

1. The setting and the sheer scope of this novel was wonderful. We get to see the life of this girl/woman from when she is a naive 16 year old to when her children are all grown-up and have kids of their own. I love sweeping sagas like this. 

2. The atmosphere of Iran was captured very well, it really felt like I was there, in a country in turmoil. 

3. I liked Massoumeh. I liked her spirit, her determination and love for learning. I loved reading about her life, her struggles, the decisions she makes and the woman she becomes. 

4. I couldn't put this book down, I was so invested in the story and was curious to find out what happened to Massoumeh. 

5. There are so many characters in this book but it never felt crowded or overwhelming. 

6. I loved how realistic this book was and how incredibly real and genuine it felt. Apart from the socio-political aspects of the book that seemed real and fraught with tension and danger. Even the everyday life of ordinary people and their issues seemed genuine and heartfelt. 

7. The decisions Massoumeh makes, especially in the end were not to my liking but and very importantly they were true to the situation she was in. It was realistic and I really appreciated it. 

8. I liked that even though Massoumeh was a good person and a devoted mother, her kids weren't all shiny and perfect and evolved and modern and open-minded. They were a product of their country and their thoughts and opinions couldn't exist in a void. They couldn't have the opinions very far removed from their culture. 

9. I liked Massoumeh and Hamid's relationship, it wasn't perfect or romantic or even loving, still it made for interesting reading. 

Things I Didn't Like: 

1. The writing was anything special but I am guessing that could possibly have something to do with the translation. Translated books sometimes seem a little stilted. 

2. Some portions of the book seemed a little repetitive. The part where Massoumeh's husband is released from prison and a few months later is once again hounded and chased and captured felt a little too like the same thing. 

Rating: 4/5 

I really enjoyed this book and was engrossed in it from the word go! 

No comments: