Saturday 2 April 2016

Review: Ghosts of Kingdom Past by Harsho.



Book: Ghosts of Kingdom Past

Author: Harsho

Pages: 70

Read On: Paperback

How Long it Took Me To Read: An hour or so.

Plot Summary: Sir Alec Morgan, a famous British paranormal expert, is in Kolkata for the launch of his latest book. Accompanied by his able guide and teller-of-grisly-tales Joga, he goes on a tour of the city’s most haunted places—sites of ghastly murders and tragic romances. However, Sir Alec is bitterly disappointed with the tour and publicly scoffs at the lack of ghosts and spirits in the city. Little does he know that his words will soon come back to haunt him when he accepts a bet and pays a visit to St Mary’s Cemetery. 

General Thoughts: I love Graphic Novels and am always looking for new ones to read.
This one even had ghosts in it and I was sold. I wanted it ASAP.
I didn't realise it was a children's book when I ordered it on Amazon, but I don't mind. I enjoy children's literature and I wasn't disappoint in the least.

Things I Liked: 

1. Ghost stories are the best. Well in my book, a book full of ghosts is a good thing be. And I loved this aspect of this book.

2. This was a quick and easy and engaging read.

3. Apart from the main story, there are also some bonus ghostly tales, which was so fun.

4. I love books set in Calcutta and this one with ghosts and ghouls and everyday people from one of my favourite cities was also a delight to read.

5. There is also a  little mystery element of this book, Sir Alec keeps seeing the same man over and over again and we wonder who he is. This was engaging and kept my interest piqued.

6. There is historical tale interwoven with this story and I loved it. I am history buff and reading about the Battle of Plassey was something I enjoyed immensely.

7. At the end of the book, there is significant portion where the author talks about his sketches and illustrations and even about his process and finding locations. I though this was a very interesting touch and especially for younger readers who get to see the behind the scenes in the making of a comic book.

Things I Didn't Like: 

This is a graphic novel and I haven't even mentioned the art in it so far.
Because I didn't really love the art.
I found it chaotic and too busy and it just isn't a style that I enjoy.
I liked the story but I just couldn't enjoy the art.

Rating: 3/5 

No comments: