Saturday 26 February 2022

Weekend Reads: Sapiens & Thrillers.

 Hello Loves! 

Another weekend and another set of our Weekend Reads. 

Here is what me and my sister are reading this weekend. 

Let's start with me. 


Sapiens The Birth of Humankind by Yuval Noah Harari: I think everyone and their second cousin have read this phenomenon of a book. Well, I haven't but I had been meaning to for ages. I will someday get the OG book and read it but for now I am so happy to be experiencing this book in it's graphic novel avataar. I bought this beast of a book for Christmas and I started reading it yesterday and I am really, really enjoying it. 

I can't wait to soak it up over the weekend and maybe then get it's second volume. 

So glad I finally made my way to it. 

I think I'll probably finish it soon enough and then I might go looking for my next read. I am not sure what I am reading next. I have been reading Devil House by John Darnielle, which is giving me massive Sinister (2012) vibes but I am not sure if I am fully into it. Also it has some very mixed reviews on Goodreads. So I don't know if I'll fully commit to it. I might just re-watch Sinister instead. It's a film I really love. 

So maybe a little Kindle scrolling and I'll find something thriller-y to read. I have a few books to choose from. I am in the mood for a good thriller. I might pick up the new Lucy Foley. 


My sister is all about them thrillers this weekend. She just finished reading The Appeal and is currently reading..


The Last House on the Street by Diane Chamberlain: When Kayla Carter's husband dies in an accident while building their dream house, she knows she has to stay strong for their four-year-old daughter. But the trophy home in Shadow Ridge Estates, a new development in sleepy Round Hill, North Carolina, will always hold tragic memories. But when she is confronted by an odd, older woman telling her not to move in, she almost agrees. It's clear this woman has some kind of connection to the area...and a connection to Kayla herself. Kayla's elderly new neighbor, Ellie Hockley, is more welcoming, but it's clear she, too, has secrets that stretch back almost fifty years. Is Ellie on a quest to right the wrongs of the past? And does the house at the end of the street hold the key? Told in dual time periods, The Last House on the Street is a novel of shocking prejudice and violence, forbidden love, the search for justice, and the tangled vines of two families. 

Historical fiction. 

Mystery. 

Social justice. 

My sister is a little bit in and is really enjoying it immensely. If she ends up loving it, expect a review soon. 

:) 

Hope your weekend is going well and is full of good vibes and good reading. 

I am trying to avoid the bleak news and hide in my books and stories. Though it's not really helping. 

I really hope and pray that good sense prevails and we don't all just devolve into all out war. 

The last thing mankind needs is more war and more hardship, life hasn't exactly been peachy these last few years! 


No comments: