Thursday 17 July 2014

Read and Loved: Part- III.



Matilda by Roald Dahl- A girl who loves to read...isn't Matilda adorable? I had seen the movie ages ago and loved it. But I had never read the book. The only Roald Dahl I have read before are his wonderful short-stories for adults, fantastic twist-in-the-tale stories. I've also read Charlie and The Chocolate Factory and loved it. 

I loved the message in this book- that the family you are born in may not always be conducive to growth and love. The people that are your family may not be the best people to raise and love you and you can make your own family and find your own people out in the world. 

This was a fun, quick, easy and heart-warming read and I can't wait to read more of Roald Dahl's children's book. 

Rating: 5/5 


Ten Things I Love About You-  Julia Quinn.
I love Julia Quinn's Regency Romance books. If you haven't read any of her books you just have to! If you enjoy sweet stories, funny moments, dreamy men and interesting women and steamy romances, these are the books for you! 

This book was a lovely. About a girl from an poor family and the eldest of several siblings, her family depends on her to make a suitable match to help her siblings. But being penniless her options are rather limited. When a lecherous old rich man sets his eyes on her, he is deemed the perfect man to marry her and rescue her family. But she soon meets the old man's nephew and her heart and head are at war! 

Fun, I read this pretty much in one sitting. 

Rating: 4/5. 



The Artist of Disappearing- Anita Desai 

I cannot believe I hadn't read any Desai before this! Stupid me! This book was wonderful. Three short novellas written impeccably well. I just have to read more and have two other books lined up to read next month. 

The first novella, tells the story of a young man a government official, on his first posting in a small village. His loneliness, his isolation and his complete disconnect with his situation was done so well. Loved it. 

The second novella is about a middle-aged woman, a professor profoundly unhappy in her life and her thwarted dreams. She then sets about translating an Oriya novel and finds for the first time some satisfaction and happiness and thinks her life is changing. I loved how Desai gets inside the head of her characters and depicts their deepest fears and desires so well. 

The third novella was my least favourite. But it was still rather nice. 

Rating: 4/5 



The Body in the Library by Agatha Christie

A story about two seemingly unrelated crimes, people's perceptions, complicated families and a misplaced sense of entitlement. This is one of my favourite Miss Marple books! Apart from the brilliantly crafted plot and the usual sharp insight that Agatha Christie has into human nature, this book also features the very fun Dolly Bantry! 

Rating: 5/5







Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix

I re-read this magical book and loved it all over again! Need I even say more?! :) 

Rating: 5/5 


No comments: