Saturday 5 July 2014

Review: Everything Leads to You by Nina LaCour.


Book: Everything Leads To You

Author: Nina LaCour

Pages: 307

How Long it Took Me To Read: 1 day

Read On: My iPad.

Plot Summary: A wunderkind young set designer, Emi has already started to find her way in the competitive Hollywood film world.
 
Emi is a film buff and a true romantic, but her real-life relationships are a mess. She has desperately gone back to the same girl too many times to mention. But then a mysterious letter from a silver screen legend leads Emi to Ava. Ava is unlike anyone Emi has ever met. She has a tumultuous, not-so-glamorous past, and lives an unconventional life. She’s enigmatic…. She’s beautiful. And she is about to expand Emi’s understanding of family, acceptance, and true romance.

Things I Liked: 

1. The writing was lovely. Simple but beautiful. 

2. The best part about this book was the setting. The world of films and the behind the scenes look at how movies are made. Also the whole set-design and film production bits were very interesting. I always notice the pretty things in the background of movies and the clothes and it was lovely reading about the process of how these things are put together. 

3. The main protagonist of the book is gay, which was nice and a different reading experience. I don't think I've read about a gay main character in YA before...I know there are books with LGBT characters but I don't think I've read them...something I want to do in the future. 

4. The pace was this book was great. It moved swiftly and was engaging and entertaining. 

5. The secondary characters in this book were lovely. Emi's brother Toby, her professor parents and her best-friend Charlotte were very well-written and real and lovely. Ava's best-friend Jamal too was a great character. 

Things I Didn't Like: 

1. I didn't really like Emi. To be honest, she did get on my nerves a bit. She, at the beginning of the book has been recently broken up with by Morgan for the sixth time! Six times!!!! And she is still in love with Morgan. Really in love with and wishes Morgan would take her back. Then she meets Ava and in promptly in love with her too. Err...just no. No with the instant, intense love. This apart she was whiny and immature at times. I like Charlotte loads better. 

2. Some of elements in this book, the sequence of events were a bit too convenient. Unreal and unbelievable. Things just happened too easily. 

3. I also wasn't a massive fan of Ava as the story progressed. In the beginning she was likable but as the story went on...she got a little too angsty. I know she was going through some huge changes and had been through some pretty shitty things in her life before but she just seemed really naive and immature at times. 

General Thoughts: I have wanted to read this since I heard of it a few months ago and I am glad I get around to reading it. I enjoyed it for most part and really liked the writing and definitely want to read more of Nina LaCour's work. 

Rating: 3/5. 

No comments: