Saturday 3 December 2022

Weekend Reads {Blogmas Day-3}

 Hello, hello,

Hope your Saturday has gotten off to a good start! 


We spent our morning eating some yummy fudge from the Bombay Sweet Shop (highly recommend!) and reading. A slow Saturday!


So, with that, let's get into what we are reading this weekend, shall we? 


I am reading Our Missing Hearts by Celeste Ng. 



Here's a quick plot summary

Twelve-year-old Bird Gardner lives a quiet existence with his loving but broken father, a former linguist who now shelves books in a university library. Bird knows to not ask too many questions, stand out too much, or stray too far. For a decade, their lives have been governed by laws written to preserve “American culture” in the wake of years of economic instability and violence. To keep the peace and restore prosperity, the authorities are now allowed to relocate children of dissidents, especially those of Asian origin, and libraries have been forced to remove books seen as unpatriotic—including the work of Bird’s mother, Margaret, a Chinese American poet who left the family when he was nine years old.

Bird has grown up disavowing his mother and her poems; he doesn’t know her work or what happened to her, and he knows he shouldn’t wonder. But when he receives a mysterious letter containing only a cryptic drawing, he is pulled into a quest to find her. His journey will take him back to the many folktales she poured into his head as a child, through the ranks of an underground network of librarians, into the lives of the children who have been taken, and finally to New York City, where a new act of defiance may be the beginning of much-needed change.

Our Missing Hearts is an old story made new, of the ways supposedly civilized communities can ignore the most searing injustice. It’s a story about the power—and limitations—of art to create change, the lessons and legacies we pass on to our children, and how any of us can survive a broken world with our hearts intact.


I've read everything Celeste Ng has written and I find her books to be a mixed bag with characters that I have never really been able to relate to. So, I picked this up with much trepidation but I am really enjoying this book! It is dystopian but the events described in the book could well happen now. So, this is a good, immersive read and I'll do a proper review once I am done with it! 


My sister is reading two books. 

A quick crime thriller- Everyone in my Family has Killed Someone by Benjamin Stevenson- and the second is a historical fiction/ re-construction based on a true court case that happened in India in the 1920s-30s called The Mendicant Prince by Aruna Chakravarti. 




Plot Summary of Everyone in my Family has Killed Someone

Everyone in my family has killed someone. Some of us, the high achievers, have killed more than once. I'm not trying to be dramatic, but it is the truth. Some of us are good, others are bad, and some just unfortunate.

I'm Ernest Cunningham. Call me Ern or Ernie. I wish I'd killed whoever decided our family reunion should be at a ski resort, but it's a little more complicated than that.

Have I killed someone? Yes. I have.

Who was it?

Let's get started.

EVERYONE IN MY FAMILY HAS KILLED SOMEONE

My brother

My stepsister

My wife

My father

My mother

My sister-in-law

My uncle

My stepfather

My aunt

Me


I am around 15% in and quite like it! Let's see if this turns out to be an unreliable narrator type story or something else? 


Plot Summary of The Mendicant Prince 

In the winter of 1909, Ramendranarayan Roy, the ailing second prince of the Bhawal zamindari, proceeds to Darjeeling with his wife Bibhavati, brother-in-law Satyendranath and a retinue of officials and servants, after being advised a change of air by his physicians. Three weeks later, a telegram from Satyendranath arrives at the Bhawal estate, carrying news of the prince’s demise and subsequent cremation.

Soon peculiar rumours start circulating around Bhawal and the surrounding town. Some say that the prince was poisoned, while others suspect that his body was taken to the burning ghat but not actually cremated. There are also whispers about an incestuous relationship between Bibhavati and her brother. The story takes a bewildering turn when, twelve years later, a mendicant comes to Bhawal, claiming to be the long-lost prince and the heir to the estate.

With no resolution in sight, matters reach the court, where the so-called prince and some family members face off against Bibhavati and her brother, aided by the British Court of Wards who are keen on maintaining ownership of the zamindari. The breathless legal drama that ensues will culminate in an incredible series of events, permanently altering the course of the estate’s history. 

Inspired by the legendary Bhawal sannyasi case and evocative in its recreation of pre-Partition Bengal, The Mendicant Prince is an intriguing tale of dual identity and the inexplicable quirks of fate.


---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Every Bengali has heard about this case through a superhit Uttam Kumar film and I am curious and excited to read a more historically accurate version of events! 



Hope you're having a great weekend! 



No comments: