Saturday 28 December 2019

Blogmas Day- 24: Boi Mela aka Book Fair, Winter 2019. + Book Haul.

Hello! 

Today I want to share some sights and scenes from my local Boi Mela, 
Boi Melas or Book Fairs are a winter staple in West Bengal. From big cities to small towns, Boi Melas pop up all over. I have always wanted to go to the Book Fair in Kolkata. My cousins have raved about it forever. Sadly, I've never managed make it there during the right time.  I used to be summer visitor in Kolkata. 
So I was so happy to find out that my hometown- Jalpaiguri,  also has a Book Fair and this time I was here for it! 
Yay!!! 
So, on a cold winter evening, Maa, me and my sister walked to the book fair and spent over an hour browsing the many stalls and taking in the scenes and seeing people mulling over books and coming back with bags full of stories. 


Most of the books, as expected were in Bengali. 
These books were so beautiful. Sadly, I can't read Bengali, so I obviously didn't buy any of those. 


People all bundled up but out and excited about books! 


English books! 
Mostly the 'popular' ones but there were some gems too. 



I found my corner of the boi mela. 




And here are the books I came back home with. 
All from the Penguin Random House Stall. 



BOOKS BOUGHT/// 

The Circle of Reason by Amitav Ghosh 
The Best of Roald Dahl
The Monk as a Man by Sankar 
The House with a Thousand Stories by Aruni Kashyap 
Greatest Works for Rabindranath Tagore 


Ah! 
Look how beautiful! 

I cannot tell you how happy this evening made me. 
I finally made it to a Boi Mela. 
Yay! 
:) 


No comments: