Thursday 10 September 2015

Review: Mrs. Funnybones by Twinkle Khanna


Book: Mrs. Funnybones

Author: Twinkle Khanna

Pages: 248

Read on: iPad

Read in: 1.5 hours

Plot Summary: Good morning, it’s 6 a.m. and I am wide awake because the man of the house has decided that he needs to perform a series of complex manoeuvres that involve him balancing on his left elbow. When I fell asleep last night, there was a baby lying next to me. Her smelly diaper is still wedged on my head but aside from this rather damp clue, I can't seem to find her anywhere. I could ask my mother-in-law if she has seen the baby, but she may just tell me that I need to fast on alternate Mondays, and God will deliver the baby back to me . . . 
Full of wit and delicious observations, Mrs Funnybones captures the life of the modern Indian woman—a woman who organizes dinner each evening, even as she goes to work all day, who runs her own life but has to listen to her Mummyji, who worries about her weight and the state of the country. Based on Twinkle Khanna’s super-hit column, Mrs Funnybones marks the debut of one of our funniest, most original voices.

General Thoughts: I have never read more than a couple of Twinkle Khanna's columns. The few I read seemed funny and quite insightful. So, when I saw her book featured in some magazine, I thought I should give it a go and see if it lived up to the hype. Spoiler alert, it does! 

What I Liked: Quick list:
1. Mrs. Funnybones is funny. Really laugh-out-loud funny. I found myself laughing out loudly several times much to the amusement of my family. There are little anecdotes from Twinkle Khanna's life that range from ridiculously hilarious to just roll-your-eyes-in-agony funny. 

2. The book has 26 little stories and follows an A-Z sort of format with each chapter having a bit of a theme. For instance, the chapter titled 'B- Beware of Mommy Dearest' has some hilarious anecdotes on how Dimple Khanna routinely manages to embarrass and baffle Twinkle- much like everyone of our moms manage to do quite effortlessly all the time! The book is a pretty quick read and can be read in one quick sitting. 

3. There is something for everyone in this book. There are stories about families, being a mom, friendship and so on. There is something that everyone can read and relate to. In that sense, this book is very accessible and does not feel like it has been written by a 'celeb' who operates on a different plane of existence compared to us mere mortals. 

What I Didn't Like: Nothing! This is a great, light and fun book! 

Rating: 5/5 
This is a lovely quick and light read. It is also surprisingly insightful and touching. Read it, you won't regret it. 


No comments: