Tuesday 3 November 2015

Review: Slasher Girls & Monster Boys by Various Authors.


Book: Slasher Girls and Monster Boys.

Author: An Anthology.

Pages: 440

Read On: iPad

How Long it Took Me To Read: 2 days

Plot Summary: A host of the smartest young adult authors come together in this collection of scary stories and psychological thrillers curated by Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea’s April Genevieve Tucholke.

Each story draws from a classic tale or two—sometimes of the horror genre, sometimes not—to inspire something new and fresh and terrifying. There are no superficial scares here; these are stories that will make you think even as they keep you on the edge of your seat. From bloody horror to supernatural creatures to unsettling, all-too-possible realism, this collection has something for any reader looking for a thrill.


General Thoughts: I've had this book since it first came out and even though  I wanted to read it as soon as it landed in my iPad but I decided to be smart and save it for Halloween! I started reading this on Halloween evening and I was hooked from the very beginning. It really a wise decision to savour this book on Halloween it really was  perfect Halloween evening read! So good!

Things I Liked: 

1. I pretty much liked all of the short-stories. In an anthology this is a rare thing. Sometimes it is a fifty-fifty thing but this was a very satisfying read where pretty much every single story was wonderful.

2. There was such a wide range in these stories- ghosts, zombies, plain odd unsettling thing, serial killers and bullies. There was something for everyone.

3. Some/ most of the stories were in contemporary setting but there were also set in 1918 and even before. So again much variety.

4. There are so many wonderful stories- which are my personal favourite kind of ghost stories- of revengeful ghosts getting justice from beyond the grave. I just love these kind of stories.

5. The stories were also a perfect length. Not too short and not too long.

6. This and books like these- anthologies are such a great way to try new authors and see if you like their writing and story telling style. It's a good way to find new authors.

7. This was a spooky read, perfect for winter nights.

Rating: 4/5

I highly recommend this book! It was a such a fun ride. I couldn't put it down. Like I said I liked most of the stories, I only didn't like 2 1/2 stories. I still read them but they just weren't the best.

No comments: