Saturday 14 October 2017

Spooky Reviews: Found Dead by Shantanu Guha Roy.



Book: Found Dead

Author: Shantanu Guha Roy

Pages: 291

Publisher: Westland 

Read On: Kindle

How Long it Took Me To Read: 2-3 hours (I read it in one sitting)

General Thoughts: I am a BIG Fan of true crime. The only thing I watch without fail on Indian televisions is Crime Patrol ( the one on the weekends, the weekday episodes are a bit lame.) I also love binging on several Youtube videos about unsolved crimes. Buzzfeed does some amazing episodes on famous unsolved cases. So when this book caught my eye I knew I had to give it a read. Plus it had several cases that I know of and followed closely.

Things I Liked: 

1. First and foremost I really enjoyed the non-biased writing style of the author. It was how it should have been, the writer doesn't take sides and reports the facts of the case. Yet, the writing doesn't come across as cold or heartless.  I really, really appreciated this aspect of the book. I have in the past, read some 'true crime' books that were so grossly one-sided and biased that they read more like propaganda than true crime reporting.

2. The book has so many headline-grabbing and sensational stories in it. I knew of and had closely followed most of the recent cases in this book, yet I wasn't bored by any of them. in fact, it was nice to read more in depth angles to the stories and see some of the progress the cases had made.

3. Apart from the ones I knew, there was also some cases that I didn't know at all or knew very little about. The Shivani Bhatnagar case and the murder of Ponty Chaddha were,  for instance completely new cases to me. And I loved finding out about them.

4. This was such an engrossing and interesting read, I read it in one sitting. I just couldn't put it down.

5. Even if you aren't an ardent fan of true crime like I am, I still think reading this collection of cases will be an interesting read. These sensational stories are told simply and succinctly and make for a enjoyable read.

6. This is a non-fiction book about real people and real crimes. Yet it isn't dry. It reads just like a well-written book. So even if you like me prefer fiction to non-fiction, this book won't disappoint you.

Rating: 4/5 

No comments: