Wednesday 28 January 2015

Comic Book Recommendations: Ms. Marvel.

I am not the world's biggest or most devoted Comic Book fan. As a child reading comic books wasn't exactly encouraged in my family. My parents would rather we read books. The only comics I read were Archie comics, Tintin and some Indian comics like Tinkle. 

In the last few years however, I have fallen in love with comic book based movies. Especially the Marvel Universe films. Ironman, Hulk, Thor, Avengers, Captain America and X-men. I love these movie. Entertaining. Fun and wonderful. Now I haven't read any of those comic books and I am aware the origin stories in the books are very different from the movies. And since I love the world in the movies, I don't want to read the comic books and see a different side to the stories. Plus there is sooooooo much to read. 

I heard about the Ms. Marvel comics when they first came out, which is no surprise since there was so much buzz about it. A Muslim girl with super-powers was unheard of before and people were all kinds of curious to see how it was handled. 

I fell for the hype and decided to check out the first volume of this comic book series! 


Book: Ms. Marvel 

Author: G. Willow Wilson

Artist: Adriana Alphona 

Plot Summary: Kamala Khan is just an ordinary girl from Jersey City--until she is suddenly empowered with extraordinary gifts. But who truly is the all-new Ms. Marvel? Teenager? Muslim? Inhuman? Find out as she takes the Marvel Universe by storm, and prepare for an epic tale that will be remembered by generations to come. History in the making is NOW!

Things I Liked: 

1. The concept is pretty amazing. A girl of colour, a Muslim girl who is trying to come to terms with who she is and BAM! she ends up with super powers. I really enjoyed the story and the story telling. 

2. The art is all colour and pretty amazing. 

3. You don't really need to know all about the Marvel Universe to read this book. Though some Marvel characters do make an appearance in the later books, it's alright not to know allllll about them. A total non-comic book reader could read this comic book series. 

4. I like Kamala, she is a nice character and a great lead character. I like her and her style of doing things. 

5. I also like the side characters, Kamala's parents, her brother and her friends. 

6. I also like that other Marvel characters who make an appearance in the books, like Wolverine and Captain America. 

Rating: 4/5 

I recommend this comic book series to anyone looking to get into comics or if you want a fun and entertaining read. 

I've read all the issues out so far in this series and I can't wait to continue with Kamala Khan and her adventures. 

No comments: