Saturday 3 August 2019

Book Review: Getting Granny's Glasses by Ruskin Bond.







Book: Getting Granny's Glasses

Author: Ruskin Bond

Publisher: Penguin

Pages: 48

Read On: Paperback Edition

How Long it Took Me To Read: 30 Minutes

Plot Summary: Mani’s Granny is seventy and can barely see through her old, scratched glasses. With only a hundred and fifty rupees in their pockets and a thirst for adventure, Mani and Granny set off to buy a new pair. On the way, they get drenched in the rain, run into mules and encounter a terrible landslide. Will Granny ever be able to reach the town and get herself a new pair of glasses?

Review: This book has my heart. It is easily the kind of book I will go back to time and again.
A comfort.
A solace.
A warm hug.

Typically Ruskin Bond, in the sense that it soothes and comforts and introduces you the kindest and simplest and warmest people. Simple, good village folk who live simple lives and are largely happy with their lot in life. Mani and his granny are absolute darlings. I am a little biased when it comes to grandmothers. I loved mine dearly and miss her something special, so give my a story with a grandmother and I am all about it. This one too didn't disappoint. Mani's granny is a darling. A woman who is selfless and loving and doesn't want anyone to fuss over her. I wanted to reach inside the pages of this book and give her a hug.

I love books about travel and adventures and this one, simple as though it was, was still fun and entertaining and engaging.

I also love books with illustrations and art and the art in this book is simply beautiful and colourful and joyful.

This was a wonderful book and I honestly cannot recommend it enough. It filled me with joy and warmth and made me tear up. Just a book full of goodness and simplicity.

Go read this now. Perfect for kids and adults like.

Rating: 5/5

I read this book almost a year ago but never did a full review here and it always irked me.
So here we go.
Highly, highly recommend.
This book makes me want to run off to the hills now and it will move you similarly.


No comments: