Saturday 10 August 2019

Weekend Reads: Thrillers + Weekend Watch.

Hello! 

How is this weekend treating you? 
Mine started early and bright, thanks to the manically windy day we are experiencing in Bombay. No complaints though, it's lovely nevertheless. 

Weekend means a whole lot of reading. And this time it includes some Buddy Reading with my favourite person to buddy read with, my sister! 
This weekend we are both jumping into two thrillers by the same author Tanushree Podder, I recognised her name and remembered that I have read one book by her beforehand, a historical fiction set in Mughal times called Escape from the Harem and quite enjoyed it. 

Last night, I was browsing through Amazon, as you do and came across a new thriller by an Indian author and was intrigued. I had over INR 200 sitting in my account as an eBook credit and I decided to get the the first book in the series to embark on. Eventually, we got both books and spent only INR 130 out of our pockets. Not a bad deal. 

Here are the books. 


A Closetful of Skeletons by Tanushree Podder: A mystery set in the mountains, what's not to love?! 

Plot Summary: Ramola withdrew from the public eye at the peak of her stardom, choosing a life of quiet anonymity over the glamour of the silver screen. Surrounded by retired couples spending their twilight years gardening and gossiping, Ramola s life is idyllic.

Or at least it was, till the night of her birthday party, when she announces that her tell-all memoir will soon be published. The book, documenting her rise to fame, puts each of her ex-lovers careers in jeopardy. As each desperate man tries to save himself, Ramola is drawn back into the very web of lies and deception she d left behind. 

And by the time the party is over, Ramola s neighbour, retired army officer and amateur sleuth Colonel Arjun H. Acharya has found his first murder to solve. 
A Closetful of Skeletons reels you into a cosy world of fresh mountain air, long-drawn poker games and bloody murder.

My sister and I are both currently reading it. I am about 32% in and I am gripped and enjoying this book quite a bit. I have made a guess as to who could be the killer but I am hoping I am wrong or that the motive is solid. Still as long as I enjoy my time with the book I am happy.

If I finish it tonight, I might jump into book two, which features the same sleuth.


Before You Breathe by Tanushree Podder: Book 2. 
These books make me want to run Almore right this second. Nothing better than murders and mountains and a rainy day to read about them.

Plot Summary: The small and peaceful hill town of Ramsar wakes up to mysterious break-ins on two consecutive days. While the first one takes place at the local doctor's clinic, the second is at the residence of the town's latest and most affluent resident - Shekhar Sharma. Inexplicably, nothing has been stolen in either case. The mysterious incidents confounded the police as well as Ramsar's residents. And before one mystery can be solved, another turns up, with a death of a stranger whom no one can identify. And so begins a game of cat-and-mouse between the criminal and the town's resident amateur sleuth, Colonel Arjun H Acharya. Who is intent on wreaking havoc in Ramsar? And can Colonel Acharya find out the truth before time runs out?

WEEKEND WATCHING/// 

Weekends also mean binging on some good old TV shows and Films
This is what we are planning on watching this weekend. 


Killing Eve: My sister is currently watching this on Hotstar. She is still on Season 1 and loving it. 
Sandra Oh is brilliant and if you like a smart and crisp TV show this one works perfectly. 


Andhadhun: We may also rewatch Andhadhun in honour of Ayushmann's well deserved National Award win. So happy that he won. He is such a splendid actor.
This film is beyond amazing and I could happily watch it again. 
It's available on Netlfix to stream. 


Badla: I saw that Badla was added to Netflix yesterday and might watch it tonight or tomorrow. I remember it got a lot of mixed reviews but as long as it's gripping I am happy to give it a watch

I hope you guys are having a wonderful weekend too. 
:)

No comments: