Wednesday 17 December 2014

2014 Favourites: Top 5 Children's Books of 2014.

Hello, I am kicking off a new series on the blog today. Last year I rounded off my favourites in a straight forward way, I listed my 13 favourite books of 2013. This year, as I started to think of similar lists my mind just wouldn't work. I have read 253 books this year and it is impossible to just pick 14 as my favourites. I just can't do it. No! Can't do. So I am doing this nifty little thing where I'll be picking 5 books from each genre or category and sharing them on the blog.

To kick things off I am starting with some Children's Literature. This year I've read quite a few kiddie books, they make me happy...what can I say? I am child at heart.

So here are my Top 5 Children's Books. These are great if you want to read them yourself or if you have kids in your life, these are great books to buy them. I loved receiving books as presents when I was a kid.

Here we go...


1. Grandma's Bag of Stories by Sudha Murty: I adored this book and read it over the summer and it was the perfect time to read a book about children on summer vacations spending time with their grandparents and listening to darling little stories. I recommend this book to both kids and adults. I reviewed it HERE


2. Little Women by Louisa May Alcott: I am pretty sure I read this book as a child but that was ages ago and I didn't remember any of the specific points and I don't remember really loving it. It didn't really stick out in my mind. A year ago I saw this darling, DARLING Vintage Children's Classic Edition online and had to get it and I fully intended to re-read this book. I picked it up earlier in the year and just wasn't feeling it. Well, I thought I'd use this book as a pretty shelf decor book and may be return to it later. Cut to December and it seemed like the perfect to read this book and I really enjoyed my time with this book. The bond between sisters, surviving a hard time, doing your best and working hard and making sacrifices for those you love...I loved all the themes in this book. And I can see why so many people love this book the world over. 



3. All My Friends Are Dead by Avery Monsen and Jory John: Now  I am not 100% sure if this is exactly a children's book but this is one delightful book and made me chuckle at several points and go awwwwwwwwwwww pretty much the whole time I was reading it. Really clever, adorable and perfect for a quick pick me up. Good funny stuff. I highly recommend it. HIGHLY! 


4. The Tale of Peter Rabbit by Beatrix Potter: I honestly don't know how I went my entire life not reading these darling little books! A few months ago these books were made free on iBooks and I read them like a possessed woman on my iPad. And I fell in love. These books are a classic for a reason. So adorable, with sweet little old-fashioned art and fun little characters. Such a good time. If you own an i-device get on it and read these books. 



5. Oliver by Birgitta Sif: This little book was so adorable and it's art was outstanding, beautiful and just a work of art. The message was sweet and heart-warming, it was everything a children's book ought to be. So wonderful. This might just be my absolute favourite children's book I've read all year. So charming, A perfect gift for a little one on Christmas gifting list. Loved it. 


No comments: