Friday 5 December 2014

Review: Anya's Ghost by Vera Brosgol


Book: Anya's Ghost

Author: Vera Brosgol

Pages: 221

How Long It Took Me To Read: 1 hour.

Read On: iPad

Plot Summary: Anya could really use a friend. But her new BFF isn't kidding about the "Forever" part.
Of all the things Anya expected to find at the bottom of an old well, a new friend was not one of them. 

Especially not a new friend who’s been dead for a century.

Falling down a well is bad enough, but Anya's normal life might actually be worse. She's embarrassed by her family, self-conscious about her body, and she's pretty much given up on fitting in at school. A new friend—even a ghost—is just what she needs.

Or so she thinks. Spooky, sardonic, and secretly sincere, Anya's Ghost is a wonderfully entertaining debut from author/artist Vera Brosgol.

General Thoughts: This book was on my wishlist ever since I heard of it. A ghost story with gorgeous art and I was on board! What fun! I read this book in one go, I didn't even pause when I was eating. Loved it. 

Things I Loved: 

1. The art was fantastic. It was beautiful and purple. PURPLE! A visual treat. 

2. The story was amazing too. A girl, a misfit finds herself a new friend, who from all appearances wants to help her fix her life and get the boy she wants...and things go a little crazy. I loved the premise. 

3. A book also does a good job of showing what it's like to be different, to stick out and wanting soooooo hard blend in and be one of the crowd. Anya hates being different, being an immigrant and she wants to be like anyone else. This struggle of her's was shown very well. 

4. I liked the humour in this book. It was genuinely funny and had it me laughing out loud at several points. 

5. I loved the secondary characters in this book was well, Anya's mother and her little brother as well as her best friend were all fun additions to the story. 

6. The book goes from being funny to being spooky and creepy and it was wonderful. 

7. This book was just an overall fun ride. It was funny, moving, creepy and had a twist too. I read it in one go and immensely enjoyed it. 

Rating: 4.5/5 

No comments: