Thursday 25 December 2014

2014 Favourites: Top 5 Indian Books of 2014.



1. Fasting and Feasting by Anita Desai: A phenomenal book this is. Really, really good. I have read quite a few Anita Desai books this year and this is hand's down my absolute favourite. I have reviwed it HERE. 


2. Calcutta Exile by Bunny Suraiya: This book I happened to randomly come across and went on to enjoy it immensely. Recommend it, I reviewed it HERE


3. The All Bengali Crime Detective by Suparna Chatterjee: This was my first read in 2014 and it was a wonderful book. I started the year off really well and on such a happy note with this book. Another random find I took a chance on and absolutely loved. Reminded me of my dad and his friends, it was utterly charming. I reviewed it HERE. 


4. My Kind of Girl by Buddhadeva Bose: Ah! This book was just delightful. And isn't this edition just gorgeous!? A lovely book that I am sure I'll return to over the years to come...in fact I want to re-read in 2015. My review for it is HERE


5. Dollar Bahu by Sudha Murthy: I've read quite a few books by Sudha Murthy this year and I have enjoyed all of them. This one though was my favourite and no wonder it is one of her most popular works. I have meant to review it properly for ages but just didn't get around to it (bad me). This book deals with issues of family, money and how familial relations and equations change when money comes into play. I really loved this book and it made me think a lot of family. This book does an excellent job of showing both sides of the same situation. The family in India that is prospering because a son is earning in dollars and the son's live in America and all the hard work that goes into said earning of dollars.

And now for some bonus books I've loved this year. 


The Lives of Others by Neel Mukherjee: A Man Booker Short-list this was a book on my radar for a while and I really enjoyed it. I had some problems with this book but overall it was a good read. My review for it can be found HERE. 


Lamplight Paranormal Stories from the Hinterlands by Kankana Basu: I loved, loved, loved this book! Spooky stories set in the same family. Scary and spooky and entertaining. I highly recommend this book. Loved it. I reviewed it HERE


1 comment:

Unknown said...

The Lives of Others was a great book! Any books that make it in the same class have to be amazing as well. The others are definitely on my TBR list.