Thursday 24 December 2015

2015 Favourites: Top 5 Literary Fiction Reads of 2015.

Hello! 

Today it's time to list some of my Literary Fiction Top 5 reads. 
We, the sister and I, were really lucky to have read some amazing books this year. 
And while choosing the Top 5 contenders for this list we actually came up with more than just 5 books. 
Not a bad thing at all. It just means we read great books and just couldn't narrow down the list. 

Let's see the books we loved in this genre...in no particular order! 




1. All The Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr: A spectacular war story. Full of wonderful characters and some lovely writing. This Pulitzer Prize winner is a gorgeous novel that I highly, highly recommend. A full review can be found HERE


2. A Spool of Blue Thread by Anne Tyler: A simple, easy and very engaging story about a few generations of a family and their lives and loves and conflicts and so much more. A book I loved immensely. This was on the short list for the Man Booker this year. A full review can be found HERE




3. A Little Life by Hanya Yanagihara: A book I wanted to read since I first heard about it. A book about friends through the years. About growing up and so much more. Love, suffering, abuse, healing, hurt and pain and kindness and friendship.  I loved it. It was hard to read. It might be the most depressing book I've ever read. Yet I am glad I read it. This though in all honesty is not a book I'd recommend to anyone. It is not a book for everyone. And you've got to be in the right frame of mind to read this book. 
An in-depth review can be found HERE. 



4. Flood of Fire by Amitav Ghosh: One of my favourite authors of all time. This book was the conclusion to the Ibis Trilogy. A fantastic end to a fabulous trilogy. If you haven't read Amitav Ghosh, do it now. He is a spectacular writer. A full review is HERE.  



5. Code Name Verity:  A story of friendship, War and secrets and truth. An astonishing novel about feisty female characters, bond between friends and the hardships and suffering during the War. So good. Read the full review HERE


6. The Remains of the Day by Kazuo Ishiguro: Ishiguro is a very gifted story teller and this book was a gem. A story of a butler and rapidly vanishing way of life in Post-War Britain. Subtle, moving and a treat. A review can be found HERE. This book won the Man Booker Prize and it is such a well deserved win. 

I couldn't just stick to Top 5 books and had to squeeze in an extra book. 

:) 

Also a Very Happy Christmas Eve to you. :) 

No comments: