Wednesday 13 January 2016

Review: Doppelgänger Short Stories by Madhavi S. Mahadevan.


Book: Doppelgänger

Author: Madhavi S. Mahadevan

Pages: 308

Read On: Kindle

How Long it Took Me To Read: 2 days

Plot Summary: Set in urban, middle class India, these 18 stories, defying easy categorization, are a true miscellany, reflecting the uncertain, illogical and vibrant nature of our times. Here boundaries between the real and the phantasmal blur: malls become haunted places, airports and golf clubs are the crossroads where past and present selves meet and greet. Chronicling the isolation, insecurities,hidden angst, subtle passion and secret longings that underlie ordinary lives and relationships, these stories weaves in themes as diverse as memory and the emotional residue it produces, the elusiveness of identity, the rigours of role play, the convolutions of a double life, the complexity of shadow wives. By turns sweet, sad, poignant, funny and mysterious, they draw us into their separate and compact worlds and linger with us awhile. 

General Thoughts: I have been on such short-story kick lately. Like you wouldn't believe. I've only read short-stories since this year started and I've really enjoyed it. 

This was a book I read via my Kindle Unlimited subscription. It was highly rated and I liked the sound of it and so I got to read. 

Things I Liked: 

1. I really enjoyed the writing and the story telling style of the author. 

2. The 18 stories were just the right length. Perfect short story lengths. 

3. These stories are centered around love, relationships and when these things so awry. A theme that is endlessly fascinating. 

4. I liked all of these stories and found all of them very  engaging and relatable. 

5. The characters in these stories are very memorable and well-crafted. 

Rating: 4/5 

I highly recommend this set of short stories. I am glad to have discovered a author whose work I enjoy. 

No comments: