Tuesday 23 June 2015

Book Review: Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson.


Book: Speak

Author: Laurie Halse Anderson

Pages: 224

Read On: Paperback

How Long it Took Me To Read: 3 days

Plot Summary: The first ten lies they tell you in high school.

"Speak up for yourself--we want to know what you have to say."

 From the first moment of her freshman year at Merryweather High, Melinda knows this is a big fat lie, part of the nonsense of high school. She is friendless, outcast, because she busted an end-of-summer party by calling the cops, so now nobody will talk to her, let alone listen to her. As time passes, she becomes increasingly isolated and practically stops talking altogether. Only her art class offers any solace, and it is through her work on an art project that she is finally able to face what really happened at that terrible party: she was raped by an upperclassman, a guy who still attends Merryweather and is still a threat to her. Her healing process has just begun when she has another violent encounter with him. But this time Melinda fights back, refuses to be silent, and thereby achieves a measure of vindication.

In Laurie Halse Anderson's powerful novel, an utterly believable heroine with a bitterly ironic voice delivers a blow to the hypocritical world of high school. She speaks for many a disenfranchised teenager while demonstrating the importance of speaking up for oneself.

General Thoughts: I had been meaning to read this book for absolute ages but just couldn't find myself a decently priced copy. Till Flipkart had a clearance sale and I got my hands on this really pretty and well-made paperback edition.

I have heard lots about how poignant and important this book is and I wanted to read it for myself. Last year I read Wintergirls by the same author that dealt with the sensitive topic of eating disorders. I have reviewed it HERE. I had less that favourable things to say about but I still wanted to read Speak. Let's see what I thought about Speak.

TRIGGER WARNINGS for rape, depression, suicide and self-harm.  Read only if you can handle reading about any of these things.

Things I Liked: 

1. The writing was good...really nice in fact. I much preferred the writing style and tone of this book compared to Wintergirls.

2. Once again I found that the writer did a fantastic job of getting inside the head of her lead character. The angst, the trauma, the fear and the general anxiety that is going on inside Melinda's head and heard was captured so well that it seemed like so frighteningly real.

3. The High School and it's petty politics and cliques and rules and subtle but neverending cruelty was also on point but never exagerrated or over the top.

4. Melinda's isolation, her being an utter and total outcast was also depicted so well.

5. This book is so important and from what I've read in my edition- which was the 15th Year Anniversary Edition- this book has touched the lives of so many people. Especially young women who have been through the same thing. This book has helped people tell their own stories and begin the long journey towards acceptance and healing. So any book that has such a powerful impact is an amazing thing!

6. I also enjoyed reading about Melinda's new friend Heather. Heather is such a character! She is so desperate to be popular and have circle of friends she is willing to do anything to achieve her goals and refuses to see how badly 'The Marthas' - a group of girls- treat her.

7. This book is as much about rape as it is a book about depression. Melinda is slipping into depression as the book progresses. This book does a great job of showing what depression looks and feels like and I loved reading about this.

8. Melinda's parents and thier benign and not so benign neglect also made for very interesting reading. 

Things I Didn't Like: 

Hmmm..I really appreciate this book. Like I said, this book has helped and continues to help many girls like Melinda and for that reason alone this is an incredibly important piece of fiction. But I can't help by feel a little letdown by this book.

1. Melinda is quiet for most of the book. Which of course, I get is the main plot-line. But I thought there would be more of the aftermath of her breaking her silence. I found that bit missing and would have liked to see the reactions of her parents and the rest of her world.

2. Also what happened to the rapist? Did she file charges?

3. Her parents...they are grossly neglectful and almost blind to her pain. I am sure this happens but their formerly bright daughter is cutting school and her grades are slipping and hello...she isn't really talking anymore?! How could her parents not see something was so wrong?!

4. Most importantly, my biggest grouse with this book was that is just really, really bummed me out. I was  in such a blue funk after I'd finished reading this book! I needed a nap. And this wasn't because this is a book about rape- though that is plenty upsetting in itself- something about the tone and the voice and the general vibe of this book was just soooooooooo blues inducing.

Rating: 3/5

This is an important book but this isn't a book for everyone. Read it only if you are ready for it and if you have happier books next on your TBR!


No comments: