Friday 19 June 2015

Book Review: This House is Haunted by John Boyne.


Book: This House is Haunted

Author: John Boyne

Pages: 301

Read On: Paperback

How Long it Took Me To Read: 2 days

Plot Summary: 1867. On a dark and chilling night Eliza Caine arrives in Norfolk to take up her position as governess at Gaudlin Hall. As she makes her way across the station platform, a pair of invisible hands push her from behind into the path of an approaching train. She is only saved by the vigilance of a passing doctor.

It is the start of a journey into a world of abandoned children, unexplained occurrences and terrifying experiences which Eliza will have to overcome if she is to survive the secrets that lie within Gaudlin’s walls…

General Thoughts: I love me some classic style horror story. The minute I read the plot synopsis of this book I wanted it so bad! :) I read this as a part of my Jitters in June reading theme.

Things I Liked: 

1. The writing was nice. Smooth and the story flowed wonderfully.

2. We really got to know Eliza. We spend some time with her before she gets to Gaudlin Hall and we see what her life was life and what sort of person she is. I also like that in so many ways she like a regular 21 yr old woman, slightly boy crazy, unsure of herself but very ernest and sincere.

3. The gothicness of this book was just lovely.

4. This book to me seemed like a mix of The Turn of The Screw by Henry James and Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte, in my books that is a good thing!

5. The  pace of this book was fantastic. It just never lets up and this was really atmospheric and immersive read.

6. There are many little secrets and pieces to puzzle that were handed out to us-the reader- at the right times. A lot of these were surprising and did take me by surprise.

7. I loved the friendships Eliza has with people in her little town and I liked that she wasn't all alone and isolated and figuring things out all on her own.

8. There ghostly things were spooky and creepy and lovely.

9. The end has a delicious twist which I loved even though I had a sneaky feeling it was coming.

10. The resolution of the problem..the haunting..was done well. 

Things I Didn't Like: 

1. Hmmm..this might just me entirely, but horror books don't scare me and I love a good old scare. Horror films are some of my greatest joys in life and I love being scared. But horror books just don't have the same effect on me.

2. The ending was a little rushed. Elize just decides not to be scared anymore and just do things...just like that out of the blue.

3. Also it's OK that I wasn't scared but Eliza not being scared was just weird.

Rating: 3.5/5

This was largely an enjoyable read and a perfect rainy day read! I recommend it! 


No comments: