Monday 5 May 2014

Read and Loved: Part- I.

I have read 67 books this year..yes I am incredibly proud! But out of all these books, I've reviewed only 15 or so books. Not good, not good at all. Sometimes I might like a book but not have enough fodder for an entire review or not enough thoughts for a full review. You could always follow my on Good Reads to see my star review. But...I still want to do a better job of keeping a record of the books I've read and enjoyed. Thus, this new segment. Read and Loved. 5 books per post. Books I've read and enjoyed.

Similarly, I am going to soon have a another new segment of books I've read but not exactly love..aka Hated. I always feel a little guilty doing negative reviews and hating on books. But there are some books that are just...well..terrible. So I am going to snap out of my silliness and talk about it.

For now though, here are 5 books I've Read and Loved recently!


What Really Happened by Banaphool: Banaphool writes short, super-short stories, almost vignettes into people's lives. I thoroughly enjoyed these 100 short-stories and can't wait to read more from him. He was one of the writers my parents recommend I read. I am so glad I found a good translation. 


Picture Imperfect by Saradindu Bandopadhyay: The adventures of a young sleuth and his writer friend. I adore the Byomkesh Bakshi stories, the TV show from the 90s and the Bengali movie adaptations. This is the fourth set of stories I've read and I immensely enjoyed them. 


Three Women by Rabindranath Tagore: Tagore- you can't be a Bengali unless you've read and enjoyed some Tagore. While his music isn't exactly my favourite thing, his stories are rather lovely. I enjoyed these stories, all of the three novellas. Not to mention how much I absolutely LOVE this gorgeous bookcover! Ah! So pretty. 


Queenie by Alice Munro: A short little story that packs a punch. I've wanted to read Alice Munro for a while but didn't know where to begin. I was this book online and read the plot summary and this sounded like a good place to start. A story of two sisters and choices one makes and selfishness. Fantastically written, I am a fan and can't wait to read more Munro. I recently bought another Munro book, that I'll be reading soon enough. 


Music for Chameleons by Truman Capote: I am a huge Truman Capote fan. I just love his writing. This book was simply fantastic. The short-stories and the novella length true crime account of a small-town plagued with a serial killer and the people portraits. Capote's writing is simple, striking and rich and layered. I can't recommend him enough. 



No comments: