Wednesday 8 October 2014

Review: The Missing Queen by Samhita Arni.


Book: The Missing Queen

Author: Samhita Arni

Pages: 240

Read On: The hardcover pictured above

How Long It Took Me To Read: 3 hours

Plot Summary: It has been ten years since Ram's return from fallen Lanka. Ayodhya is shining. Ayodhya is prosperous. But darkness lurks at the heart of the victrorious regime. A pointed question piques a young journalist's curiousity: What happened to Sita? Where is Ram's absent wife whose abduction triggered the war with Lanka? 

And so begins the journalist's search for the missing queen. Soon her investigation attracts the notice of Ayodhya's all-powerful secret police and its mysterious head, the Washerman. Forced to flee Ayodhya, the journalist makes her way through a war-devastated Lanka in search of answers. 

In this stylish speculative thriller, Samhita Arni skilfully combines her love for mythology with riveting storytelling.

General Thoughts: I read and LOVED Sita's Ramayana by Samhita Arni and have wanted to read more of her work. When I spotted this gorgeous little book online, I had to get it. 

Honestly though, The Ramayana is not my favourite epic. I don't know it's little stories and am not well versed with it's secondary characters. I have always had an issue with how Sita was treated and never like our leading man Ram. The Mahabharata is hands down my favourite epic and pretty much my favourite story of allllllll time. 

But I was curious to read a modern day re-telling of Sita's life after the end of Ramayana. 

Things I Liked: 

1. This book was so cleverly written, very, very cleverly written. The modern-day adaptation was flawless. Brilliant stuff. 

2. The pace of this book was fantastic. I could not put it down and I couldn't stop turning pages. 

3. I was mildly surprised that this book actually read like a thriller. It kinda blew my mind. 

4. The atmosphere in this book was so reminiscent of modern day India. The politics and the goons and the cover-ups were all shown very well. 

5. All the characters of The Ramayana in their modern avataars were so fun to read about. 

6. I especially loved the bits set in Lanka and seeing the world through the eyes of the Lankans. 

7. There were so many perspectives in this book, and not just of the victors of the war but the Vanars, The Lankans and even so many of women characters, it was was great to see a familiar story from different angles. 

8. The aftermath of the war was brutal and shocking and sad but made for very powerful writing. 

Things I Didn't Like: 

I really enjoyed this book. I read it in one sitting. I was immersed in it's world. However, I would have loved to see more of Sita. Hear from the missing queen herself. 

Also to enjoy this book, you would need to have a working understanding of The Ramayana and know it's story and it's people. 

Rating: 4/5 


No comments: