Wednesday 24 December 2014

2104 Favourites: Top 5 Adult Fiction/ Literary Fiction Books of 2014.


1. The Collected Works of A.J. Fikry by Gabrielle Zevin: OMG! This book was just wonderful. It's a book about books, about a bookstore, about love and about the healing power of connection and relationships and love. So amazing. Heart-warming, funny, moving and just an excellent read. Definetly give this a read, you will love it. I promise. Reviewed HERE. 


2. Notes on a Scandal by Zoe Heller: I have wanted to read this book for absolute ages and I am so glad I finally got to it this year. This was an amazing read. Like it blew my mind, it was complex and full of flawed characters who make terrible mistakes but still move you. Beautifully written and thought provoking. I loved this book and made my sister read it right after I was done with it, because I needed to discuss it with someone, The book is reviewed HERE


3. Tell The Wolves I'm Home by Carol Rifka Brunt: This beautiful book caught my eye on Tumblr and I ordered it and read it and loved it. It broke my heart...but in the best way possible. So touching and honest and beautifully written. You can see a proper review HERE.  



4. The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows: This book just might be the best thing I'v read allllll year long and a book I am most certain I will go back to in the year to come. Full of heart and community and sweet people. It was the best thing ever!!! Seriously read it now. It's reviewed HERE. 



5. The Dark Room by Rachel Seiffer: This book contains three novellas about World War- II and it's aftermath. All these stories are set in Germany and were all interesting and intense and very thought provoking. I loved that the stories were set both during the war, right after the after and a few decades after the end of the war. We got to see people dealing with the carnage of the war and picking up their lives and moving on after the devastation. And the last story deals with the guilt some Germans carry with them due to the shameful chapter in their nation's history. 

I loved this book and enjoyed all of the three stories. And I highly recommend this book. 





No comments: