Thursday 31 December 2015

2015 Favourites: Top 5 Indian Books of 2015.

Hello! 

I love reading Indian books. 
Well...duh! You already knew that! 
And I am Indian so why not read and love from my own country? 

I read a lot...a LOT of Indian books this past year. More than books from any other country or region. 

And I had a very hard time picking my top 5 reads. 

But here they are my favourite Indian reads of 2015. 


1. Drowning Fish by Swati Chanda: A book I picked up ever so randomly and was really sucked into the story and the lives of the women in this family. So good. Such a ride and really emotional as well. It deals with East Pakistan, the formation of Bangladesh and love and loss and tragedy and family and holding on to the past. So very good! A full review can be found HERE. 


2. Flood of Fire by Amitav Ghosh: A genius. A conclusion to a trilogy this was a magnificent book. A full review can be found HERE. So good. Read Ghosh and just fall in love with his writing and story telling.  




3. The Weight Loss Club by Devapriya Roy: A book I picked up on a day I was sad and this book sounded like a fun read that would cheer me up. And it did. Not only was it fun, it was also poignant and realistic and packed with absolutely wonderful characters. So good! A full review can be found here. 


4. 1/7 Bondel Road by Gautam Benegal: A book I read in the very beginning of the year and fell in love with it. The stories set in one lane of a Calcutta neighbourhood was charming, nostalgic and just comforting. Plus set in one of my favourite cities in the whole entire world. I adored this book and this was once again a random pick that I wasn't really expecting the world from. A glowing review can be found HERE. 



5. The Feast of Roses by Indu Sundaresan: This is the second book in the Taj Trilogy. A historical fiction book series set in Mughal India which is utter captivating and immersive. I am a huge fan go Sundaresar's writing and this book was no exception. I read this 400 pages + book in one day flat. I could not put it down! It was that good. I highly, highly recommend this series and any of Sundaresar's other books. I never did a full review since this is a second book in the series but I loved this book from start to finish. 

No comments: