Wednesday 14 September 2016

Book Review: Behind Closed Doors by B A Paris.


Book: Behind Closed Doors

Author: B A Paris

Pages: 351

Read On: Paperback pictured above

How Long it Took Me To Read: 2 days

Plot Summary: Everyone knows a couple like Jack and Grace: he has looks and wealth, she has charm and elegance. You'd like to get to know Grace better. But it's difficult, because you realize Jack and Grace are never apart. Some might call this true love.

Picture this: a dinner party at their perfect home, the conversation and wine flowing. They appear to be in their element while entertaining. And Grace's friends are eager to reciprocate with lunch the following week. Grace wants to go, but knows she never will. Her friends call—so why doesn't Grace ever answer the phone? And how can she cook such elaborate meals but remain so slim?

And why are there bars on one of the bedroom windows?

The perfect marriage? Or the perfect lie?
 


Things I Liked: 

1. I enjoyed the writing. It was simple, smooth and the author did a great job keeping the pace of this book tight and fast. 

2. The book goes back and forth between present day and the past and this keeps the pace of this book going. It also provides the required answers into how this couple met and fell in love. 

3. This book is scary, scary in a way that altogether real. The idea of meeting a gorgeous stranger, falling in love and being swept off your feet and marrying him only to  discover that he is not at all what you thought he was. He is a monster. A cruel man who is making your life hell. Isn't it terrifying? To even contemplate that this could happen to you! Gah! I don't even want to think about it. 

4. I love Esther. She came across as really annoying and slightly rude when we first met her but as the book goes on I really began to appreciate her. And by the end I really loved Esther and her cleverness. 

5. Jack is a total creep. A horrible, horrible man and all of his evilness is shown so well in the book. The author does good job of really getting across his cruelty. 

6. Grace and her sister Millie's bond were so special and so nice to read about. 

7. I also thought how Grace handled her new married situation was fairly realistic, she did the best she could to escape her hellhole of a marriage. 

8. I couldn't put this book down. I wanted to keep reading and wanted to find out what became of her Grace and poor Millie. 

9. The ending was fantastic. Just brilliant! I loved it! I wanted to clap. I think I did! 

Things I Didn't Like: 

1. I didn't love the fact that the mystery was given up so easily and so quickly into the book. In fact the backflap gives up the ghost a little too soon. 

2. I might be a little naive but I felt like Grace could have, maybe, done a little more to escape her situation. She tries in Thailand but once she is back in the UK she doesn't do quite as much. 

Rating: 3.75/5 

A very enjoyable book that I just couldn't put down. I highly recommend! 

No comments: