Monday 25 October 2021

Monday Moods: What I Read This Weekend.

 Hello Loves!

Hope your Monday is going well. 

Let's start this week with a little look at what I read this psst weekend. 


Greenlight by Kalpana Swaminathan: I recently, very recently, as in earlier this month, I discovered a new sleuth to read and love. I read the newest book in the Lalli Mysteries a few weeks ago, and I was so chuffed to learn that there are so many older books in the series that I want to read. I  promptly ordered 3 of her older titles from Book Chor and this one I read first. 

This book is sort of inspired by the Nithari killings (very loosely) and is set in a slum in Mumbai where little girls are being abducted, brutalised and their bodies returned home. Gruesome and gory (please avoid if these things trigger you). Lalli  is on the case and determined to get to the bottom of this sordid affair. 

I read this book over two days and the second half is better than the first half which is pretty slow and languid and a little too invested in the lives of the detective's niece. The second half is where the action picks up and that bit I raced through. I enjoyed the solving of the crime and the culprits and how it went down was really interesting.

Rating: 3/5 




A read this book on perfectly rainy and grey days and it matched it's mood so very well. 


Next the book I am still reading and really enjoying. But that is no surprise Shashi Deshpande is always a pleasure to read and this is the first time I am reading her write for a younger audience. 

The Narayanpur Incident by Shashi Deshpande: Set in August of 1942, amidst the Quit India movement, this book takes into the heart of a family of patriots who want to help in getting the British out and India free. Our two protagonists are Manju and Babu (the youngest children of this family) who are willing to do whatever it takes to help with the Quit India movement. It's a story about being brave and standing up for your belief and what is right. 

I am halfway through and really enjoying this world and it's people. 

So glad I picked it up. 

:) 



No comments: