Skip to main content

Monthly Reading Wrap-Up: Books of September.

 Hello Loves!

Just like that September is nearly over! 

Didn't it go by so darn fast? 

I had a very good reading month 🔮I read 30 books! 

Sure some of them were children's books but they totally count! 

Here's my books, in no particular order. 



The Shampoo Effect by Jenny Jackson: This was such a smooth read, about a young woman who spends a year on a writing fellowship in a small seaside town and that year is marked by falling in love and spending time with her new partner's close group of friends. Its about group dynamics and told from the perspectives of four women, I loved each POV and loved this book so much. 



The Museum of Second Chances by Jo Leevers: A book I am currently 63% through and loving. Set in small Cornish town, its about a 61 year old museum curator who runs a maritime curiosities museum that's on the verge of being closed. Enter a group of enthusiastic locals and a motley crew of folks who form new friendships and old secrets are slowly being unearthed. 
Sweet and hopeful and sad but lovely. 


Obstetrix by Naomi Kritzer: A book set in our near (scary) future where America is slowly running out of OB-GYNs because of abortion bans, our main protagonist is Doctor who gets abducted by a religious cult to deliver babies. 
It was a scary reminder of where American society might head given how things are going. 



Snow Falling on Cedars by David Guterson: A Literary thriller, something I don't usually enjoy. But this one I quite enjoyed. A quiet read set in 1954 about a murder trial of a Japanese-American man and how years of prejudice stemming from WW-II Japanese internment camps plays a role in his perceived crime. 




Too Small Tola by Atinuke: A children's book from Nigeria about a tiny girl with big spirit. A sweet and heartwarming read. 




Hollywood, Ending by John Green: Such a pleasure to read John Green after nine years! 
Just as wonderful and smooth and easy as always. 
It's about two young actors working on a movie, falling in love and dealing with the aftermaths of troubled childhoods. 
TW: CSA. 


Then I read two very hyped, "twisty" thrillers which didn't really dazzle me. 
I guessed the main twist from a mile off. 
Julie Chan is Dead by Liann Zhang, about influencers  and their lifestyles was strictly OK. 
A Flicker in the Dark by Stacy Willingham was fun to begin with but by the end is was easily guessable. 



Jacaranda by Gael Faye: This book took me to Rwanda and I saw the lingering effects of the genocide and hate and bigotry. I was nervous reading this book because I knew it would break my heart. Set from 1994 to 2020 this was such a moving read. 


99 Thoughts on Ganesha by Devdutt Patnaik: This was my Ganesh Chatuthi read and I loved reading about the rituals, history, mythology and stories about Ganpu. 


A Temple of no Gods by Manav Kaul: A story about childhood friendships, coming of age, love & yearning. And a touch of magic realism and messed up families. My second book by the author and I am excited to read more by him. 


No Regrets by Kaveree Bamzai: A non-fiction read about how women can and should live a life with no regrets.Tips on how to navigate life as a working mom and raising a family without sacrificing yourself and your own ambitions and goals. 



Impetuous Women by Shikhandin: A re-read. Short stories about not-so-perfect women, 


Before You Were Anne by Emiko Jean: A thriller I actually enjoyed. Though I did guess the perpetrator by 56%, I still enjoyed reading it. Set in Japan and the US, this is story about betrayal, love and secrets. 


Muneca by Cynthia Gomez: A lovely gothic, sapphic take about witchcraft and magic and women coming together to get even. I loved this short little book so much, I couldn't put it down. 


The Forbidden Notebook by Alba De Cespedes: Written and set in 1951, this book is still sadly relevant. Its about a housewife writing a diary and feeling like she's doing something illicit. Finding time for herself feels like a crime, and like she's cheating on her chores. There was something so heartbreaking and sad about our main character. A book I still enjoyed very much. 

:) 

I also read and loved A  Family Matter by Claire Lynch which was a wonderful contemporary read

Read Taipie Story by Rebecca F. Kuang which I didn't like love. It was OK. 

Read City of Widows by Nadia Hashimi and it felt too long and not her best work in my opinion. 

Read a cozy Japanese book called The Nine Lives of A Bookshop Cat and it was nice. Sad and sweet and magical. 

Read short stories by Pushkin and really enjoyed them. 

Read a wonderful book called How Lucky Am I and it was perfect. Highly recommend. 

Read some weird girl lit: Fallow by Sarah Anderson, something I enjoyed for most part. 

Goddess of Filth by V. Castro which was spooky and fun and satisfying. 

Comfort Me with Apples by Catherynne M. Valente, which was lowkey odd. 

I also read some children's books. 

Nature's Tiny Miracle Bees by Britta Teckentrup. 

Still Stuck by Shinsuke Yoshitake. 

Mixed by Arree Chung. 

&

Dewdrop by Katie O'Neill. 

All these books were darling. 

\\\\\\\

That's my September Reading Wrap-Up.

I haven't done one of these in forever and this took so long because my left hand is still wonky and typing is still a little difficult. 

But I did it. 

I can't believe I read 30 books in 30 Days!!!!

Go me! 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book Review: The Gopi Diaries Finding Love by Sudha Murty.

  Book: The Gopi Diaries Finding Love  Author: Sudha Murty  Illustrator: Sandhya Prabhat  Publishers: Harper Collins India  Pages: 136  How Long it Took Me To Read: Under and hour.  Plot Summary:   Gopi, I can't believe a year has passed since I met you. You have brought me so much happiness!' In this second book in the bestselling Gopi Diaries series, Gopi is stronger, bigger, more confident than the little pup he was in the first book, but he is also cheekier and more mischievous! He faces new situations, new challenges, even new dog companions with endless energy and spirit. And then comes the day when he faces the biggest surprise of them all... Written in Sudha Murty's inimitable style, this simple story told from a dog's perspective shows us just why pets are so precious - for their love, devotion and boundless affection. This is a book for Sudha Murty's fans of all ages as Gopi paws himself yet again into the hearts of children and adults...

Book Review: The Room on the Roof by Ruskin Bond.

Some snippets of the stunning art inside the book!  Book: The Room on the Roof Author: Ruskin Bond Illustrator: Ahlawat Gunjan Pages: 171 Read On: Hardback How Long It Took Me To Read: 3 days or so. Plot Summary:   Rusty, a sixteen-year-old Anglo-Indian boy, is orphaned and has to live with his English guardian in the claustrophobic European part in Dehra Dun. Unhappy with the strict ways of his guardian, Rusty runs away from home to live with his Indian friends. Plunging for the first time into the dream-bright world of the bazaar, Hindu festivals and other aspects of Indian life, Rusty is enchanted … and is lost forever to the prim proprieties of the European community.  General Thoughts: This book is super special. Not only this 60th anniversary edition an absolute beauty. This is also a signed copy I picked up from Mussoorie when I was in Landour earlier in the year. This is perhaps one of Ruskin Bond's mo...

Review: Grandma's Bag of Stories by Sudha Murthy.

Book: Grandma's Bag of Stories Author: Sudha Murthy Pages: 176 Read On: Paperback How Long It Took Me Read: 2 hours Plot Summary:   When Grandma opens her bag of stories, everyone gathers Around. Who can resist a good story, especially when it’s being told by Grandma? From her bag emerges tales of kings and cheats, monkeys and mice, bears and gods. Here comes the bear who ate some really bad dessert and got very angry; a lazy man who would not put out a fire till it reached his beard; a princess who got turned into an onion; a queen who discovered silk, and many more weird and wonderful people and animals. Grandma tells the stories over long summer days and nights, as seven children enjoy life in her little town. The stories entertain, educate and provide hours of enjoyment to them. So come, why don’t you too join in the fun? General Thoughts: I've read quite a few Sudha Murthy books this year and really enjoyed them. I find them soothing, simple a...