Saturday 12 June 2021

Weekend Reads: What I am Currently Reading.

 Hello Loves! 

This weekend finds me reading two books at the moment. 

One I am breezing through. 

The other I've been reading very slowly since Wednesday. 

They are both very, very different from each other and I am enjoying them both but in different ways.

Let's see what my reading looks like this weekend. 


Antigona and Me by Kate Clanchy: I am more than way through this book and it's something I am reading slowly. Partly because sometimes the subject matter can be a little too intense and sad. 

This is a nonfiction book about a refugee from Kosovo and her story of living in Britain with her children and adapting to her new home. It is also about how being a woman refugee can be a mixed bag, missing home, learning a new language, a new culture and holding on to vestiges of your former life- even parts that were painful and traumatic. 

The book also talks about the domestic abuse Antigona faced in her marriage and how so much this cruel abuse was sanctioned by their culture. These bits are especially trying to read and if you are triggered by it, you might want to skip this book. 

I am hoping to finish it this weekend and will let you know what I thought about it in my wrap-up. 


Now on to the book that I am reading and LOVING! 

And of course it has ghosts in it! 

Truth be told, I have in a horror mood since last Sunday when I read a horror novel in a day and since then I have read two more horror books and this one was next on the list! 


Dark Tales, Ghost Stories from India by Venita Coelho: I am so into this book it's not even funny. I am currently typing this post and still reading a story! Well-written, spooky, read and what I love best about these stories is that each of these stories have a grain of real life horror, not spirts and ghosts but the mundane and more menacing horror- abuse, terrorism, violence and trauma. It's so so so good. I am almost sad that it will end soon! 

Seriously, pick it up.
You won't regret it. 

Plot Summary: Two men with dangerous secrets find that they have an uninvited guest staying with them . . .
A cursed bride forced into an unlucky marriage . . .
A mysterious child with an angelic face seems to have misfortune follow him around . . .

In this collection of eleven very dark and twisted tales, Venita Coelho lays bare the underbelly of contemporary India. Get ready to gasp and cringe in horror as you have the rug pulled out from under you! This is a book you won't want to read after dark.


Happy Reading Folks! 


No comments: