Saturday 7 May 2022

Book Review: Cat People Edited by Devapriya Roy.


 

Book: Cat People 

Editor: Devapriya Roy 

Pages: 320

Publisher: Simon and Schuster 

Read On: Paperback Edition 

How Long it Took Me To Read: 3 days 

Plot Summary: In Karachi, a writer house-sits for her father and his cat, while keeping track of his - the cat’s - list of obsessions: ironed white sheets, kheer, KFC fries, warm custard, finely chopped sausages, and the flaky tops of chicken patties. 

In San Francisco, a couple adopt a cat, without anticipating what it will do to their relationship. 

In Noida, a cat and two dogs line up peacefully every morning for their daily dose of vitamin syrup. 

In Bombay, a lyricist and screenwriter roots through the litter tray first thing in the morning, to investigate if his cat’s UTI is better. 

In wintry London, a young millennial wonders if she is actually a cat. 

Capturing the many moods of felines and their humans, in many forms and voices, Cat People, is a timely celebration of the most memed creature today: the cat. This collection of short stories, personal essays, lists, original art and photographs is are a treat, not just for cat lovers everywhere, but for all who love a story well-told – and, on occasion, a theory well-spun.

Review: Growing up I don't really remember seeing that many cats around us in Bombay. We'd occasionally spot a tabby run across the street and then we'd diligently go back nine steps to avoid any or all bad luck. A silly superstition, but one I followed for years to come. The only other time I spotted cats during those balmy Bombay days were at the fish mongers. Every Saturday, Baba and I, like true blue Bengalis, headed to the fish market for my some maach and other conversation with our Koli fish ladies. Sweet women who always had a kind word to say. We'd see these sly cats weave in and out between the ladies and the fish and chomp down on a treat or two. Those cats looked like they belonged, to the women and the fish market. I was always a little scared to go pet them but I looked on in wonder at their antics. 

But by and large my childhood was one filled with dogs. Our family pet in Calcutta was beloved Munni, a spunky Pomeranian who I loved with my whole heart. She'd bark and jump and go wild even before we stepped out of the taxi. She cried every time we left at the end of summer. She was my only experience of loving a pet and seeing their eyes light up when you came through the door. 

We didn't have pets at home in Bombay, Baba who grew up on a farm with numerous pets and animals, felt it was cruel to have a dog confined to a small Bombay flat, with no room . So we grew up wanting a dog but knowing we'd never have one. 

My first pet (if you can even call it that) was a rat. A tiny little brown thing we caught in our mousetrap in Lucknow. We were meant to kill it but one look at it's beady little eyes and we were done. None of us had the heart to kill this little menace who had wrecked havoc at home. For a week it lived in my room, still in it's trap, moving around and even responding to scratches and tickles. I fed him or her, we never really found out, and we fed him bread and fruits. After a week, we set him/her free. To go on and live his life. It was cruel to keep him in a cage. It broke my heart, seeing him leave. I'd like to think he was sad to leave me too. 

Years later, in Bangalore I had another pseudo pet. A cat called Agatha. She's show up in our first floor balcony and lounge on our chairs and act like she owned our space. She'd show later afternoon, sit on our cane chairs, squish a cushion to her comfort and watch Indira Nagar go by it's business. I was so smitten. I desperately wanted to befriend her and maybe even adopt her. A pet after all this time..

But it was not meant to be. Agatha was skittish. Whenever I'd gingerly step into the balcony, she'd bolt. I tried for days and weeks and then decided to let it be. I'd leave out food, which she'd eat but she didn't want to be friends. So I looked at regal little Agatha from a distance. Her in my balcony and me looking at her, like a creep, from my bedroom. Months later, I found out that she was a fast-friend of our watchman. She'd show up at lunch time and share his tiffin and then saunter up to my balcony for an afternoon siesta. 

Reading Cat People reminded me of Agatha. I wonder if she still goes by my erstwhile balcony. I wondered if the new tenants of the flat left her some food. I wonder if she misses me at all...

This book is a celebration of our love for Cats and how much these silly little beans add to our lives. These spirited, spunky, kind and loving creatures that waltz into our lives and leave an indelible mark. And even years later, long after they are gone, we find ourselves thinking about their antics. This book is full of stories about pets and strays and love and loss and grief and so much heart. I found myself tearing up and found myself laughing out loud. 

A perfect read for a cat person or a cat human or a cat..who's to say they wouldn't enjoy a fine selection of essays, stories and art?! 

I read this over three days and cherished my time with it. I loved that this book was a mix of stories (fiction), personal essays and some art and some photography. I loved the happy stories and I loved the sad ones. There was so much heart and so much love in these pages. Ah! An absolute treat. 

Rating: 4/5 

No comments: