Thursday 5 May 2022

Hello May 2022 & My Three Current Reads! ~ Ray and Steinbeck and A Cozy Detective Story.

 


Hello May! 

Hello Summer! 

Hello Mangoes! 

&

Hello Summer Reading! 

:) 

I'll be honest, May is not my favourite month. Not by a long shot, but this year, I am determined to not be a fuss about summer and make the most of my days. Drink iced-drinks and be good about not cribbing too much. Waise bhi, complain kar ke kya hi hoga?! 

May is for afternoons spent in cold rooms and reading to my heart's content. May was also the time for summer vacations and family time and making some of my favourite memories. 

And of course Summer Reading!

I am still working on my TBR for May and with all the reading I am hoping to do this month..I am currently reading 3 books. 

3 books, it's not in nature to read multiple books at once but here I am reading three very different books. 


3 Rays, Stories from Satyajit Ray: May 2nd was Ray's 101st birthday, so of course I read some of his work. I finally picked up this beautiful book and read 200 pages of it in one go. It has stories from Ray's father and grandfather and Ray himself. Some new and unpublished before and some old and loved and ones that are always a pleasure to return to. I am really enjoying my time with this book and I am hoping to get this read today. 



The Bangalore Detective Club by Harini Nagendra: My second current read is this darling little book which was love at first encounter. I heard of it and saw this beautiful cover and needed it in my life. I mean see how pretty!? Sadly, I am reading it on my Kindle but it's OK. 

It's a detective story set in Bangalore (duh) in 1921. A young woman is our detective and I am a little bit in and this is so fun and wholesome and I really love the voice of our main character and of course reading about Bangalore circa 1921. I am hoping this continues to be a cozy and wonderful read. I will let you know how it fares. 



The Red Pony by John Steinbeck: I technically started May with Steinbeck, who is pretty much one of my absolute favourite writers of all time. It's been a hot minute since I read some of his work and this tiny little book is a perfect way to jump back into his writing and read more of his work. I am around 12 pages in and I just need to make myself a cup of coffee and sit and read in peace. It's a tiny novella about a young boy coming of age and his beloved new red pony and about loss and masculinity and duty. 


~~~

So far May has been a headache! 

I fell violently sick on the 1st and have been recovering but quite out of it since the start of the month. 

I am hoping the rest of the month is loads better. 

Hope May is good for you and me. 

Happy Reading Loves! 

No comments: