Wednesday 17 August 2022

Book Haul: Books of July 2022 + Mini-Reviews.

 Hello Loves!

Long time no book haul, the reason is I bought zero books in April, May and June. 

I had books sent to me from publishers but I didn't buy any books. 

For no real reason but I was about to head back home and didn't see the sense in adding books to my burgeoning luggage. 

And you know what? I was OK with not buying books. I was fine reading the books I already owned and books on my beloved Kindle. 

I think this is the longest I went without buying books. 

Look at me being so grown up and mature. 

Go me! 

In July, I was back home, in Bombay. 

I was settling back in and there were some amazing sales going on...so I bit the bullet and got some books that were on my radar. 

So I got myself some books and I have already read a few of them, so I'll be sharing some thoughts and mini-reviews along the way. 


This one is a very Harper haul. 




BOOKS BOUGHT: 

The Chronicles of Lost Daughters by Debarati Mukhopadhyay. 

The Map and The Scissors by Amit Majmudar (this one is a review copy, sent kindly by the publishers) 

I Came Upon a Lighthouse by Shantanu Naidu 

Teething by Megha Rao 

Breaking Free by Vaasanthi 

Ladies Tailor by Priya Hajela 


I am really looking forward to this book, it's probably one I am going to pick up next. A tale of devdaasis, which sounds amazing and unlike anything I've read before. Plus its a perfect pick for Women in Translation Month. 


What a gorgeous little book na? 

This one starts off from the Partition and then follows a family trying to restart their lives and their vocations after being displaced by the Partition. 

I am looking forward to this one. 



This one was not for me. I am not a poetry person by a long shot. 

This one just felt a bit much and didn't work for me. It was also supposed to be a story told in verse..sorta...but that aspect just did not come through. 



This was the first book I read this month and it is one of the best things I've read all year. It's so, so, so good. 
Heart breaking and hard to read in parts but so well researched and written and translated. 
Amazing. 
Please pick it up. 


This one is a review copy, centered around the Partition and the imagined (re-imagined) dealings of Gandhi and Jinnah and what lead to the formation of the two countries. I curious to see how this books deals with these two huge personalities and what tone it takes. Will pick it up later this month. 



I wanted to read this little, slice of life, a memoir of a particular area of the author's life for a while now. It's a sweet and moving and interesting tale about an unlikely friendship. I enjoyed reading it and getting to know the great Ratan Tata a little better. 
:) 
Sweet. 
Plus the art is very nice too. 


I also finally picked up this classic that has been on my TBR for ages. 
I am hoping to read it this month and I know I am going to love it. 
I am glad I finally got my hands on it. 


The only non-Indian book in this haul. 
This is a book I've already read, back in 2009..2010. I borrowed it from my library and loved it. I also really liked the film adaptation by Sofia Coppola. I always wanted to own my own copy and of course, re-read at some point. I can't wait to dive into this story again. I hope I love it just as much as I did the first time. It is such a brilliantly written book and the film is amazing too. 
Of course, TWs for Self-Harm and Suicide. 



There is nothing quite like a good old book haul. 
I like being sensible. But buying books I am so excited to read is the best feeling ever. 
:) 



No comments: