Wednesday 11 August 2021

Book Review: A Plate of White Marble by Bani Basu.

 


Book: A Plate of White Marble 

Author: Bani Basu 

Translator: Nandini Guha 

Pages: 328 

Publisher: Niyogi Books 

Plot Summary: First published in 1990 in the original Bengali, a plate of white marble tells the tale of the ‘new woman’ of the post-Independence an era that just witnessed the independence of a nation bandana, the protagonist, though grieves over her husband early death, never conforms to the social connotation and ideals of ‘widowhood’, thanks to her uncle. She dares to begin her life afresh in every possible sense. But naturally, the road proves to be full of thorns as she gradually faces bitterness from many quarters of the society. The only thing she clings to is her son, but once that anchor too is lost, she leaves behind the safe concrete walls of what she used to consider ‘home’, only to work for a far greater cause—she joins a children’s home to work for those who need her the most. This first translation brings this significant Bengali novel with important social concerns to a wider audience.

Things I Liked: 

1. I knew of this book, this story for ages. I think I heard of the film back in the 90s and knew that it was a pathos filled tale. My family never wanted to see the film because it was too tragic. So I didn't either. But in April, the publishers- Niyogi Books, were very kindly giving out free ebooks and I got it and finally read it this month. The plot had me deeply interested and I finally understood why my family didn't want to watch it all those years ago. Widowhood is something we've seen up close and how crushing and cruel it can be. Especially Bengali widowhood with it's endless rules and fasting is something we know of because my grandmother was a widow and followed every single rule. 

2. This story really got under my skin. Really did. Because it's so relatable and so real. This sort of thing happens all the time. Whether in 1955 (where this book is set) or even now, if you think about it not much has changed for women in our country. A widow is still treated like a burden or inauspicious. Like her own fate is entirely her own doing or fault. This aspect of Indian Widowhood is captured perfectly well in this book. 

3. I really liked Bandana. She felt like someone I knew. Cultured, educated and lost and overwhelmed with life. Life throws her a curveball and her reaction to it seemed so painfully real. Her confusion, her rage and her sheer helplessly was palpable. It was done so well and perhaps the best part of the book for me. 

4. I love the motley characters in this book. The good, the great and the truly petty and mean spirited ones. All of them seemed like people that we see around us. The evil mother-in-law who turns cold and cruel overnight, the helpless aunt who wants to do better but can't, a greedy father-in-law who doesn't shy away from cheating his own daughter-in-law and grandson. These people are perfectly written and crafted. I especially loved Bandana's uncle, her Kaka is a wonderful man, open-minded and is such a support to his niece. The world needs more people like him. I also really liked Bandana's sister-in-law Koli, who was brave and supportive and is Bandana's cheerleader throughout her life. 

5. The book does a  fantastic job of capturing the time and the ethos of the time. 1955 comes alive in this book. The oppressive social conditions, the double standards and how women had to always had to live by society's standards. Not just at home, Bandana faces judgement and jibes even in the outside world. 

6. I love how we see Bandana through the years, we see her a a new bride and a young widow, a young mother, a working woman and an older independent woman. Her life journey is incredible and it feels like we were right next to her and walking along side with her. Her's is an incredible life, lived with dignity and with so much strength. 

7. This is such an important book about such an important issue that we sadly still grapple with. It is so important to learn and understand how women lived and survived in our country. There are many Bandanas in our world and we need to hear their stories and know their struggles. 

8. I really enjoyed the writing too. The translation was nicely done too. I am so glad I read it. Even if it broke my heart. 

Rating: 4/5 

I also finally watched the 1992 film adaptation and it was OK. I honestly expected better considering it stars Aparna Sen but it was a tad too dramatic and hammy for my liking. 

It's streaming on Jio Cinema and Amazon Prime. 

It's worth a watch. It is true to text for most part but they changed a few things here and there. 





No comments: