Tuesday 10 August 2021

Book Review: Vanara by Anand Neelakantan.

 


Book: Vanara 

Author: Anand Neelakantan 

Publisher: Penguin India

Pages: 320 

How Long it Took Me To Read: 3 days 

Plot Summary: Baali and Sugreeva of the Vana Nara tribe were orphan brothers who were born in abject poverty and grew up as slaves like most of their fellow tribesmen. They were often mocked as the vanaras, the monkey men. Sandwiched between the never-ending war between the Deva tribes in the north and the Asura tribes in the south, the Vana Naras seemed to have lost all hope. But Baali was determined not to die a slave. Aided by his beloved brother, Sugreeva, Baali built a country for his people. The capital city, Kishkindha, became a beacon of hope for emancipated slaves from across the world. It was a city of the people, by the people, for the people, where there was no discrimination based on caste, creed, language or the colour of skin. For a brief period in history, it seemed as if mankind had found its ideal hero in Baali. But then fate intervened through the beautiful Tara, the daughter of a tribal physician. Loved by Baali and lusted after by Sugreeva, Tara became the cause of a fraternal war that would change history for ever.

The love triangle between Baali, Tara and Sugreeva is arguably the world's first. Written by Anand Neelakantan who gave a voice to Ravana in Asura, Duryodhana in the Ajaya series and Sivagami in the Baahubali series, Vanara is a classic tale of love, lust and betrayal. Shakespearean in its tragic depth and epic in its sweep, Vanara gives voice to the greatest warrior in the Ramayana-Baali.

Things I Liked: 

1. I love all things Mythology. It's one of my favourite things in the world to read and learn about. The Mahabharata is hands down my favourite amongst the Indian epics. So I have read a lot more from it's extensive world. The Ramayana for multiple reasons doesn't quite appeal to me. But with time I am beginning to seek out more stories from it's world. I have read a few adaptations of The Ramayana in the past. My favourite among them are Sita's Ramayana by Samhita Arni and The Liberation of Sita by Volga.  This book was another step in diving into the tales from The Ramayana. 

2. This particular slice of mythology, the tale of Baali, Sugreeva and Tara is one I knew very little about. Actually, next to nothing about. I only knew the basic outline of their arc. So this book, to me felt like a brand new story. I went in pretty blind and learn a fair about their story and struggles. 

3. These characters- especially our three main protagonists are so well-crafted and become so much more than figures in mythology. They seem like real people, with flaws, doubts and worries and complexities. It's very nicely done. 

4. I like we are presented with an alternative take on a tale as old as time. We see the other side, another explanation and maybe a different side and version of events we hold as sacrosanct. Every event, every story has two sides and we need to hear both these interpretations.  

5. This book covers pretty much the whole lifespan of these Vanara brothers and I think the author did a good job of covering so much and giving the reading a whole view of their lives and that of several of the supportive characters. I also liked that the story starts off in Sage Gautama's ashram and we meet Ahalya and Indra and see a new spin on this slice of mythology too. 

6. I also appreciated and found it interesting that we see the villains in another light. We see them as people, not these monsters and we see their lives in a new light. Who are  the victors? And does being victorious make them necessarily right? Are we seeing the whole story? Every possibly angle? Who determined right and wrong? I love books that offer a new insight and make you pause and think. 

Things I Didn't Like: 

1. The writing was decent for most part but not brilliant. I found a lot of things very, vert repetitive and the book would have benefitted from some sharper editing. 

2. I did find my interest waning at the halfway point. I wish the narrative would have picked up the pace and kept things crisp. I enjoyed the first half so much more than the second half of the book. 

Rating: 3/5 

No comments: