Monday 3 May 2021

Monday Mood: Ray Fever!

Hello Loves! 

Since it was Ray's birthday yesterday, we've been in a mood for all things Ray, to be fair, we as a household are always in the mood for Ray. 

I am currently reading Childhood Days, A Memoir by Satyajit Ray and really enjoying it. 

It's full of memories of this childhood and growing up in Calcutta and some truly eccentric relatives. 

Also making an appearance are some magnificent Bengalis of the time- Tagore and Nandalal Bose. 


 


Some more Ray inspired loves. 

Bookmark from Karubasona. 

Pendant from Label Maati. 



Feluda is a forever mood. 

I spent last night reading Sonar Kella. 

And we watched the film too. 


A pretty pile. 




All good things. 

I hope to re-read all of Feluda this year. 

I have both volumes on my Kindle and I will slowly read them all. 

Apart from this we've been watching some of Ray's films. 


Mahanagar (1963): Watched it this evening. A story of a lower-middleclass Bengali household in the 60s. A housewife is forced to join the workforce to make ends meet. This seemingly simple decision makes life rather difficult for her. Her husband, her father-in-law and even society in general makes her question her decision. 
A nuanced look at society and patriarchy, brilliant acting and such attention to detail.
So good. 
I cannot recommend it enough. 


Maharapurush (1965): A story of a conman. A dubious Godman and a dedicated group of men trying to take him down. Hilarious and still so relevant. A wonderful, light hearted film if you need some laughs. 
It might be my dad's favourite Ray film, it is certainly one he rewatches every single year. 


Kanchunjenga (1962): An imminent, wealthy family on their last day of their holiday in Darjeeling.  They are trying to match make their youngest daughter. The whole unfolds in this one day. We see various members of this family walking around the mall and making big life decisions. A clear look at privilege, entitlement and ennui. I don't think I had seen this before and I really loved it. 


Sonar Kella (1974): A film that just makes me so happy. It's my comfort watch. When I am feeling down and out I re-watch this and feel good again. 


I hope you and your family are safe and at home. 


No comments: