Sunday 30 May 2021

Weekend Reads: What My Sister and I Are Reading This Weekend: A Desi Thriller and some Japanese Literature.

 Hello Loves! 

Hope this weekend is proving to be a time of rest and joy. 

I am a little worried about the health of a close relative, cooking for my family and reading to keep myself sufficiently distracted. 

Here is what me and my sister are Reading this weekend. 


In Plain Sight by Mohamed Thaver: This is what my sister is reading. 
Mumbai.
Murder. 
And an investigation. 
She is a little bit in and quite enjoying this book. It's a past paced and simple read. Perfect if you, like so many of us, are finding reading and focusing on things a bit much lately. It's a good book to pick up and breeze through over the weekend. 
The  review for this will be up once she's done reading it. 

Plot Summary: When the rapes and murders of three minor girls remain unsolved for months, a frustrated DCP Sawant calls in Police Inspector Waghmare. Renowned as Mumbai police's 'investigation machine', Waghmare is rumoured to solve crimes in his dreams. As the investigation progresses and every promising lead runs into a dead-end, Waghmare gets an uncanny feeling that the killer is watching them closely and anticipating their every move to toy with them. Then, when the body of a fourth girl is found, Waghmare and DCP Sawant are both saddled with doubts about Waghmare's fabled investigation skills. 


Told from the perspective of rookie crime reporter, Rohan, In Plain Sight is a police procedural set in the terrifyingly surreal world of crime and retribution inhabited by the Mumbai police.




Now for what I am reading right now. 

Breasts and Eggs by Mieko Kawakami: Everyone who has read this book has loved it. I have heard nothing but amazing things about it and I cannot wait to see if by the end of it I feel the same. I am just 8% in and I am really, really loving it. Like a lot. I am always up to sample some Japanese literature and this one seems like a good one to sink into. Funnily enough I went into this one pretty blind, knowing next to nothing about it's plot, but that turns out to be a good thing. I am enjoying this story and these women and I curious to see where this story takes me. This will probably be the last book I read this month and it's a good to end an incredible reading month. 

Plot Summary: On a hot summer’s day in a poor suburb of Tokyo we meet three women: thirty-year-old Natsuko, her older sister Makiko, and Makiko’s teenage daughter Midoriko. Makiko, an ageing hostess despairing the loss of her looks, has travelled to Tokyo in search of breast enhancement surgery. She's accompanied by Midoriko, who has recently stopped speaking, finding herself unable to deal with her own changing body and her mother’s self-obsession. Her silence dominates Natsuko’s rundown apartment, providing a catalyst for each woman to grapple with their own anxieties and their relationships with one another.

Eight years later, we meet Natsuko again. She is now a writer and find herself on a journey back to her native city, returning to memories of that summer and her family’s past as she faces her own uncertain future.

In Breasts and Eggs Mieko Kawakami paints a radical and intimate portrait of contemporary working class womanhood in Japan, recounting the heartbreaking journeys of three women in a society where the odds are stacked against them. This is an unforgettable full length English language debut from a major international talent.



Two very different books are being read but both are being enjoyed. 
:) 


Oh, I also got a new Kindle case this morning and thought I'd share. 
Isn't she lovely? 
Ah! 
My Kindle has been a life saver all these months and she deserves a new outfit! 


Hope you have a good weekend and you read something good! 

:) 

No comments: