Friday 30 April 2021

Monthy Reading-Wrap Up: April 2021.

 Hello Loves! 

How have you been? 

Safe I hope. 

Well I hope. 

These days nothing feels real. 

Nothing feels good. 

April didn't go according to plan.

April kicked our ass. 

My reading took a beating. 

I planned on reading a whole lot of Bengali literature this month and read a lot. 

Well, from April 11 onwards my sister fell sick. 

On the 16th I started showing symptoms. 

Then everything went for a toss. 

My books kept me sane and kept me company.

I read a fair amount and let's talk about my April Reads. 

Oh, I didn't read all Bengali books. I dipped out of my chosen genre and read some other books as well. 

Here's what I read in April. 



1. The Namesake by Jhumpa Lahiri: Started my month perfectly with the perfect book. I re-read this book after a long time, for the third or fourth time. And it was just as exquisite as I remembered. This book will break your heart and sink into your skin. 

A lovely, lovely book.

4/5 


2. Neverworld Wake by Marisha Pessl: A bit of a disappointment really, I had some high hopes going in and when I figured this was a YA groundhog day sorta deal, I was very put off. This trope is not my favourite at all. 

So I kinda switched off mid-way. 

Well-written but just not my cup of tea. 

2/5 


3. That Bird Called Happiness by Nabendu Ghosh: A collection of short stories, set mainly in the 60s and 70s, these stories about love, longing, film stars and relationships and life. These stories were so good. I am so glad I randomly picked up this book. 

4/5 


4. The Family Tree by Sairish Hussain: I did a full review for this one already. 

It's already up on the blog. 


5. Restless Waters of the Ichhamati by Bibhutibhushan Bandyapadhyay: I am still reading this book. I am only 75 pages in and I need to hunker down and read it. I am really enjoying it, I was reading it right when I fell sick, so I took a break from it. I will get back to it soon. 


6. The Shadow Lines by Amitav Ghosh: Another re-read of another favourite book after years. Loved it. Cannot recommend it enough. A brilliant book. A perfect book to read if you've been meaning to read some Ghosh. 


7. Concrete Rose by Angie Thomas: A prequel of sorts to to THUG that I didn't even know about. It took me sometime to figure out this was the same world, but in the late 90s. I loved this book, this world, it's people and the sense of kinship and community in this story. 

4/5 


8. One Half from the East by Nadia Hashimi: I love books set in Afghanistan, even if they break your heart and make you weep buckets. It's a place I love being back in. I've read a few books by Nadia Hashimi and really enjoyed them. This one is a her first foray into young adult fiction and about the phenomenon of Bacha Posh. Which basically means turning a young girl child into a boy for practical and superstitious reasons. 

I enjoyed this book. For most part. I did feel like it dragged a bit in the middle but it was a heartfelt and moving read. 

3.5/5 


9. First Light by Sunil Gangopadhyay: This book at over 756 pages is a little beast! 

:) 

In the best way possible. 

This was my Nobo Borsho Read. I started reading the book on the 15th of April and I am only 555 pages and have so much left. 

I am taking my time with this book and taking it nice and slow and savouring it. 

I am in no tearing hurry to finish it up, I will read it a slow pace and finish it whenever I do. 


10. Satyajit Ray in 100 Anecdotes by Arthy Muthanna Singh and Mamta Nainy: Read, Loved and Revised as well. 


Next I read some absolutely delightful books from Story Weaver  when I was in desperate need of some comfort and cheer. And I found just that and then some. 

I read some 15 odd books in one sitting and came back smiling and comforted. 

If you want something to take your mind off things and if you have a child in need of some stories and distraction, this is an incredible resource for lovely books. 

:) 

Here's what I read, I loved them all! 

11. Around You: States of Matter by Sukanya Sinha 

12. Rani's First Day of School by Cheryl Rao

13. Hide and Seek by Dropti Sharma 

14. Bed-Time Stories by Kanchan Banerjee 

15. The Race by " 

16. My Sister and Me " 

17. A Butterfly Smile by Mathangi Subramanian 

18. The Girl Who Could Not Stop Laughing by Meera Ganapathi 

19. Manikantan Has Enough by Anil Menon 

20. There's a Hole in my Galaxy by Ananya Dasgupta 

21. Arya in the Cockpit by Nandita Jayaraj 

22. Raju's First Flight " 

23. A Helping Hand by Payal Dhar 

24. Behind The Lie by Asha Nehemish 

25. Only Fools Go To School by Charuta Rao 

26. Who Stole Bhaiya's Smile? by Sanjana Kapur 


A good reading month. 

Not the best. 

But not the worst. 

:) 


No comments: